Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hippie Wine Anyone?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
pizzaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Hippie Wine Anyone?

Background: Over the last two years I have tried various ways of making wine. While I'm getting better and better at making beers and meads, I just can't seem to grasp this wine concoctificationism. The root of this problem is most likely that I have never had a wine that I enjoyed, and therefore I have no real base for how to make a good wine. I have been to a few wine-tasting classes and shows, sampled some of what others have said is very good wine...it all tastes like sour juice to me. Of course my wife loves wine, and will only allow me to continue brewing if I at least try to make her wine every now and then....

Foreground: So after bottling ten gallons of damned good beer today, I was looking at the shelf in my kitchen that has become my wine cabinet, cluttered with bottles of failed attempts at making drinkable wine, and in a drunken rage dumped all of it(no not down the drain silly, it is alcohol after all) into a carboy. I followed this with some orange juice(I have recently found that my wife loves a properly fermented orange juice), some various fermentable sugars I have had success with in making beers and meads, poured in some dissolved tannin, acid blend, pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, and crushed campden tablets, and sealed it up to rest for a day or so. The abv of all the wines added was 10-12%, after the additional sugars the gravity was up to 1.045 which should make for an additional 6% abv if anything happens to this globbitygoop. It's resting now, I'll be pitching some montrachet onto it tomorrow night....I can't help but wonder if the homebrewing gods will forgive me for making something so terribly awful. Thinking back on it now, my thought process must've gone something like this: "None of this wine tastes any good, people drink it when I put it in front of them, but never EVER ask for more...maybe if I mix it all together and bump up the alcohol noone will ever NEED to ask for more...muahahahaha(laughter trails off into the darkness with me madly pouring gallons of crappy wine into a carboy)"

Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 04:13 AM   #2
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey, if it makes good drink do it! Just write down what went in so you can reproduce it if you accidentally make a fantastic concoctionificationary wonder!

Alternately, when you come across a bad bottle of red wine, do what the young kids in spain do: get a bottle of cola, drink half and fill it up with the swill. Actually not a bad drink!

Ah, here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calimocho

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

allllriiiiggghhhtttyyyy then

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
virus692
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am just going to back slowly out of this thread now...

VIrus 692-
Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of in·san·i·ty!
People should not be afraid of their governments,
governments should be afraid of their people.

Spoon fEeD A nOOb

Old 04-23-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default this Junk is Stuck

2 days after pitching now...still no noticeable airlock activity...starting to wonder if I should pitch again from a well-built starter. I've been giving the carboy a swirl every now and again and when I do so it bubbles up, but the airlock does nothing. I'll probably just leave it alone for a week and take a gravity reading, if it's still high I'll pitch from a starter and give it another try.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Mr. Nice Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Try the starter. If your pH is way low from the juice it may take a few days to start. A tiny bit of calcium carbonate could help if the problem is pH.

10/13 on the way - Strong Ale!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

According to the wiki, a starter can kill a dry yeast and since all I use is dry yeast I won't be doing that...

Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus692 View Post
I am just going to back slowly out of this thread now...
I really should follow suit but I just can't help myself:

You need to acclimate your starter to the higher alcohol concentration.
Get a good starter going and then pour in an equal amount of your devils concotion, if you have the patients repeat this one more time when the yeast gets going again - then pour the whole works into your fermentation vessle.

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
pizzaman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Since all I have is dry yeast I wont be doing a starter. When I pitched I rehydrated in warm water with some honey in it, this should be fine. I do understand the idea of making a starter to handle a high-alcohol must, but this must is only 1.045..not high at all for any wine yeast. I am wondering if the must having alcohol in it already could be causing a late start, though I really doubt it as in the past I have repitched already high alcohol meads with added honey and gotten good results. I'll continue waiting and check gravity on monday.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

have you ever tried a wine kit? I"m on my first ever wine fermentation and used a Wine Expert kit. It was stupidly easy, and even though its not bottled yet, its already tasting like a decent Chianti (a bit thin but that was expected since its at the lower end of thier kits).

I started hitting winetalk.com and people there make wine from welch's very successfully, though I bet it takes a little aging and getting used to vs. 'traditional' wines.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Closed Thread

Quick Reply