The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > high proof wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
hitthewall79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default high proof wine

Alright, I was looking to make a high proof "wine" (sugar and water and whatever else I'm going to need) and pushing the ABV as high as possible, using a distillers yeast. Once I have the abv as high as I can go, then I will add something like a brandy extract, or something like that. Has anyone tried this before? What is the best way to treat the yeast to get as high ABV as possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitthewall79 View Post
Alright, I was looking to make a high proof "wine" (sugar and water and whatever else I'm going to need) and pushing the ABV as high as possible, using a distillers yeast. Once I have the abv as high as I can go, then I will add something like a brandy extract, or something like that. Has anyone tried this before? What is the best way to treat the yeast to get as high ABV as possible?
To make this not turn into "rocket fuel" try to keep t he yeast as happy as possible. Temp and nutrients are a big part of that. You want as clean a ferment as possible here. I have seen/tasted this when done with apple juice concentrate. Its not a taste for everyone! :-)

Good luck!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
hitthewall79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorCAD
I thought this was a wine forum, not a prison hooch forum
. I've made what you call wine, I got the fresh fruit, pressed it, and everything, it is the slowest most mind numbing process, I had to wait 5 months for the lees to drop out, I would rather have a wine from juice that clears in a month than have to deal with all the hassle that comes from making complicated, fancy wine. To each there own

I'm not going for a hooch, I'm going for a brandy, as all brandy is a high proof wine. However, it becomes high proof through distillation, which is illegal where I live. So I was wondering if you could push a wine up to a high ABV, add an extract flavoring, and produce something with a similar flavor as brandy. I don't want "rocket fuel" but I will expect a burn, because of the high ABV.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 218 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 23

You could try freeze concentrating the wine to boost the abv into brandy range without distilling

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

Old 10-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I always love a good theoretical challenge when talking about wines. I have never made a super high ABV wine (20%+). But I have read a few articles/forums about Brandy and making it from Welch's Concord grape concentrate.

For what I have read up on you do need to take super good care of your yeast to try and keep the fusel oils down and rocket fule tastes. I would probably step feed sugar and concentrate with your turbo yeast to help it get to high levels. Plenty of O2 would be required as well. A recipe may start like:

1 gallon (but brewed in a 2 gallon bucket)

Start off day one

2 cans of Welche's red grape frozen concentrate
1 tbs of black tea (earl grey or another favorite)
1 tsp yeast nutrient (dap)
1/2 tsp yeast energizer (something like fermaid O)
Water to one gallon
Yeast

Day two add:

1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp yeast energizer

Day 3 add:

1 can of concentrate
1lb of sugar

Day 4 add:

1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp yeast energizer

Day 5 add:

1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp yeast energizer

Day 6 add:

1 can of concentrate
1lb of sugar

Day 7 add:

1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp yeast energizer

Day 8 add:

1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp yeast energizer

Day 9 add:

1 can of concentrate
1lb of sugar

Day 10 add:

1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp yeast energizer

Day 11 add:

1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/8 tsp yeast energizer

Day 12 add:

1 can of concentrate
1lb of sugar

After day 12 let it ride. also check original gravities and record gravities after adding sugars so you can track how many points drop. That should be enough sugars to get it close to 23% - 25% ABV if taken dry. Also 2 - 3 times a day through the 12 day process hit the must with a wine whip or air bubbler for a couple minutes. Should be interesting if you can get it that high. Once you rack to secondary adding 1/2oz of dark toasted ok for a couple weeks should help.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 10-26-2013, 02:26 AM   #6
hitthewall79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Airpolis, you are awesome, have you ever tried this recipe?

Old 10-26-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
T_Baggins
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 262

I have achieved an ABV of around 17.5 and then frozen, I have no idea what final ABV came to. It seemed like I removed about 30% by volume of water. At 17.5 the wine had a very strong alc taste, but concentrating it concentrated the fruity bits enough that the end result was VERY delicious, especially for a young wine.
BTW it was apple/cherry from concentrate. Not suree how high your trying to go, but the stuff I made was very tasty and got ya fuzzed up real quick!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitthewall79 View Post
Airpolis, you are awesome, have you ever tried this recipe?
No I have not. I have hit probably close to 20% ABV plus or minus a percent with Sake and it uses a similar method to my proposed wine. But only in the sence your are continually feeding sugars over a long time. This is just theoretical and possibly over complicated but that is what I would do.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
hitthewall79
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Going to be getting materials for this soon, when I start, I'll put pictures up.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Inkdrop
Inkdrop
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

Default Freeze concentration

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Baggins View Post
I have achieved an ABV of around 17.5 and then frozen, I have no idea what final ABV came to. It seemed like I removed about 30% by volume of water. At 17.5 the wine had a very strong alc taste, but concentrating it concentrated the fruity bits enough that the end result was VERY delicious, especially for a young wine.
BTW it was apple/cherry from concentrate. Not suree how high your trying to go, but the stuff I made was very tasty and got ya fuzzed up real quick!
I am confused. What does freezing the wine do to it to lower the alcohol content? Would this work with beer also, I just saw an article about a world record beer called snake venom that is 67.5% ABV. I wonder if this is how they did it.

Quick Reply