Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Help a N00b: oak in Welches White wine?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2014, 03:35 AM   #1
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Default Help a N00b: oak in Welches White wine?

I've done So, I did 3 gallons of juice and sugar up to 1070 or so (I didn't take good notes). It's done fermenting, but I haven't taken a final gravity reading. I have tasted it, and it seems a little too sweet and fruity to me. I will be adding acid blend to taste before bottling. My question is should I oak. If so, how much and how long?

It's a 3 gallon batch. How much would you oak? I'll be using JD chips if I do because that's what's on hand. I can pop them in the oven if necessary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
jensmith
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87
I've done So, I did 3 gallons of juice and sugar up to 1070 or so (I didn't take good notes). It's done fermenting, but I haven't taken a final gravity reading. I have tasted it, and it seems a little too sweet and fruity to me. I will be adding acid blend to taste before bottling. My question is should I oak. If so, how much and how long?

It's a 3 gallon batch. How much would you oak? I'll be using JD chips if I do because that's what's on hand. I can pop them in the oven if necessary.
If its still sweet tasting then it is not done fermenting. Do take another sg reading to verify. If its still above 1.000 then it is not done. You may need to add yeast nutriants. What yeast did you use?
I don't like oak so I can't offer advise!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yea with a starting gravity of 1.070 it only has a possible ABV of 9%-10%. Any wine yeast and lots of others should all handle that unless you got a stuck fermentation.

I agree to check the gravity and see where it is at. You may need to add another round of yeast nutrient or re-pitch with a strong finishing yeast like lalvin k1v-1116 or lalvin ec-1118.

For the oak I would go very light in a Welche's wine. Probably measure out 3/4 ounce and let that sit about 7 days and check then wine. See where it is at and leave longer if you want more oaky flavor. I probably would suggest throwing them in the oven for about 10 min. I use JD oak chips for smoking all the time but never tried them in a wine.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

It's below 1.000 (0.996, I think). I should be taking a bit better notes with this, but I've got tons of beer stuff I'm doing and it hasn't been on the front burner, so to speak. I believe I used Montrachet yeast, or maybe Cotes de Blanc (I forget what I had in the fridge) and probably added nutrients.

After looking at some notes I believe I added 1.5 lb sugar to the 3 gallons, bringing it to 1081 OG (11.2 %abv now).

I'll pour a few samples and dose with acid blend, then add oak if I still want it, starting at 3/4 oz for a week.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
jewelsbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have added oak and it gives it a hint of rustic flavor. Good. Put in secondary after fermentation complete. Let sit for a few weeks while degassing. I used about handfull in gallon.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Home Brew mobile app

Quick Reply