Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Help With My Wine Please (floaty bits!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Help With My Wine Please (floaty bits!)

Hi everyone, first of all thanks for any suggestions. i have made many beers and ciders over the years but this is my first wine. it's rhubarb wine, made about 5 weeks ago, everything had gone according to plan until a few days ago, when i noticed some floating chunky gunk just below the neck of the flask. it looked a bit like yeast but i have never seen yeast just appear in flocks while the drink is clearing. i had already racked once (and sulfited) since fermenting finished, and it was sitting on a thin layer of lees; not much. on closer inspection there was some floaty stuff near the surface also. i racked to a clean flask and sulfited again, equivalent K-meta of 1 campden. i tasted it during racking and it is spectacular. no sour or off flavors. but four days later the stuff has reappeared. hopefully you can see it in the pictures; it's hard to photograph. Wine experts: What is it and How can i get rid of it??
Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 22

the big chunks:

Old 06-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Those look like clumps of yeast. It's weird, because wine yeast doesn't tend to clump like that.

I wouldn't worry. Just rack whenever you have lees 1/4" thick after 60 days, and it should settle out.

Quick Reply