Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Help me Make my yeast stop fermenting
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
Closetairlock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Default Help me Make my yeast stop fermenting

Hey guys, my wine I have going, I just filtered it, and the airlocks were stopped dead before that. But... Some of my stuff, when I open up the mason jar it is clearing up in, it starts to fizzle, and bits of yeast float up to the surface from the bottem and redissolve in the wine, is there any way to kill ALL the yest so that it can clear up and age? Thank you for help!!!

__________________
Closetairlock is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #2
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetairlock
Hey guys, my wine I have going, I just filtered it, and the airlocks were stopped dead before that. But... Some of my stuff, when I open up the mason jar it is clearing up in, it starts to fizzle, and bits of yeast float up to the surface from the bottem and redissolve in the wine, is there any way to kill ALL the yest so that it can clear up and age? Thank you for help!!!
You just have to let it run its course and allow the yeast to consume the remaining sugar.
__________________
novalou is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Matti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

First you need to check your SG, if it's somewhere between 0.994-0.997 then your alcoholic femrementation is done. The "fizzle" could be caused by many things. It could be the CO2 in the wine itself, it could be malolactic fermentation.

Killing the yeast and stopping the ferementation is a process called Wine Stabilization. You use a chemical called Potassium sorbate, you use about 1 teaspoon per gallon.

__________________
Matti is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,329
Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
First you need to check your SG, if it's somewhere between 0.994-0.997 then your alcoholic femrementation is done. The "fizzle" could be caused by many things. It could be the CO2 in the wine itself, it could be malolactic fermentation.

Killing the yeast and stopping the ferementation is a process called Wine Stabilization. You use a chemical called Potassium sorbate, you use about 1 teaspoon per gallon.
Well, you don't kill the yeast, or stop the fermentation with sorbate. Sorbate prevents yeast reproduction but it doesn't kill yeast nor does it stop fermentation. And a teaspoon per gallon is about twice as much as you'd normally use.

Potassium sorbate is used in a finished, clear wine, when it's time to sweeten the wine prior to bottling. It does nothing in an active batch, nor does it do anything when there is lots of yeast in suspension.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
WVMJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Karnage, WV
Posts: 1,097
Liked 104 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

You can put your mason jars in a pressure canner, run it at 5lb pressure for 15 minutes and that will kell them all. You could also pasterize like the cider guys do. What did you filter with,cheese cloth?What kind of wines are you Making? WVMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetairlock View Post
Hey guys, my wine I have going, I just filtered it, and the airlocks were stopped dead before that. But... Some of my stuff, when I open up the mason jar it is clearing up in, it starts to fizzle, and bits of yeast float up to the surface from the bottem and redissolve in the wine, is there any way to kill ALL the yest so that it can clear up and age? Thank you for help!!!
WVMJ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
Matti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Finland
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, you don't kill the yeast, or stop the fermentation with sorbate. Sorbate prevents yeast reproduction but it doesn't kill yeast nor does it stop fermentation. And a teaspoon per gallon is about twice as much as you'd normally use.

Potassium sorbate is used in a finished, clear wine, when it's time to sweeten the wine prior to bottling. It does nothing in an active batch, nor does it do anything when there is lots of yeast in suspension.
Thanks for the info. One question though, would using potassium metabisulfite with the sorbate acheive what we're after (stopping the ferementation)?

I ask because I've always used a mixture of sorbate and metabisulfite to stop my ferementation at some stages, either to get sweet wine or to stabilize, and I've never had any problems. Of course I might be doing something and just getting lucky.
__________________
Matti is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 62,329
Liked 4786 Times on 3481 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
Thanks for the info. One question though, would using potassium metabisulfite with the sorbate acheive what we're after (stopping the ferementation)?

I ask because I've always used a mixture of sorbate and metabisulfite to stop my ferementation at some stages, either to get sweet wine or to stabilize, and I've never had any problems. Of course I might be doing something and just getting lucky.
Sorbate works better in the presence of sulfite, but wine yeast are tolerant of sulfites and sulfite is used routinely by winemakers.

So yes, if you're stopped wine by this technique and haven't had a bottle bomb, I'd say you are very lucky.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just won't stop fermenting Epimetheus Cider Forum 5 10-19-2012 03:37 AM
On the second day Stop fermenting need help!!! Olexan Fermentation & Yeast 9 08-20-2010 02:04 AM
What makes the yeast stop fermenting in low abv ale? badmajon Fermentation & Yeast 6 05-08-2010 07:11 PM
Will gelatin cause yeast to stop fermenting? kip General Techniques 26 07-10-2009 10:59 PM
It won't stop fermenting....help! GlassblowersBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 02-06-2008 09:40 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS