Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Help me kill my yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
mrbeachroach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help me kill my yeast

Hello all. I have a perfect young batch of muskadine wine that I started in October this year. It taste perfect and has the perfect amount of abv. Gravity now is at about 1.028 I want to keep it here as the abv is already 12% I would like to bottle and store for a year but know there is a ton of ferment able sugars . I used Champaign or pasture red or monocrat yeast. I added 10 teaspoons of potassium sorbate and 2 weeks later still getting bubbles and with a screw top bottle still fizz when opening. How can I kill this yeast and bottle with confidence without changing any of the flavors?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What size batch is it? 10 teaspoons of sorbate sounds like a lot to me: I've usually read to use less than half a teaspoon per gallon.
I 'think' sorbate requires metabisulphate to be added too to be most effective. Meta actually stuns the yeast instead of just preventing it for reproducing. Or maybe the other way around... Either way, it's advised to use the two.

I've also heard that it's pretty hard (bordering impossible) to stabilize wine whilst it's still fermenting healthily. It might turn out that you have to let it dry out.
If that's the case, I'd advise you make a note of the gravity and ABV you liked it at, and formulate the recipe around that in future batches (i.e. ferment dry to the ABV you like, THEN stabilize and back sweeten to 1.028). If you wanted it sweet (which it sounds like you do) then champaign yeast probably wasn't your best choice.

Some people may recommend stove-top pasteurization. I don't like this technique but it's something to consider if you're desperate.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Unless you have a giant vat, 10 teaspoons is way too much.

Just because something CAN ferment, does not mean it SHOULD be fermented.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Pasteurize

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/