Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
rslayback
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Help

Trying to figure out how to keep the auto siphon centered in the carboy during bottle fill, otherwise it keeps moving around kicking up nasties from the bottom. All ideas would be appreciated, as I ran out of them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Pkrd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Decant into a bottling bucket.

Fermenting: JAOM

Bottled:
Chainbreaker White IPA; Sassy Red; Yoopers Fizzy Yellow beer; Black IPA; Citra Zythos IPA; JAOM; BaA Schwarzbier; Nierra Sevada; Manuka Saison;

Old 08-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
Cyclman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 377 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I just put mine in the "nasties" the cap on the autosiphon keeps them out. Or, raise it up off the bottom a bit, I got a clip at my homebrewshop that does that. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=auto+siphon+clip&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=36242441798&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=& hvnetw=g&hvrand=18128816728506080415&hvpone=&hvptw o=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2s6k055dvg_b

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Join the Beacon Point (Aurora, CO) Brewclub on Facebook- casual, fun brewing, drinking, socializing!

Old 08-24-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
bernardsmith
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

These clips work.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

After making wine for more than 25 years, I still rack to a bottling bucket almost all of the time. It makes life so much easier!

If there are still lees in the bottom of the carboy, the wine isn't ready to be bottled anyway, though. Wine is ready to be bottled when it's clear and has gone at least 60 days without any new lees in the bottom of the carboy. If there are lees, it's almost impossible to bottle with a siphon and it may drop more lees in the bottle.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
bernardsmith
Recipes 

But Yooper, racking from one secondary to another even if there is no intention to bottle still means that you may have to keep the siphon rod above the sediment. If there is just a dusting the end fitting may keep the siphon off the bottom sufficiently to avoid sucking in lees but if there is a half inch or so I am not sure how you can successfully keep the transferred wines as clear as possible unless you have some way to keep the siphon at a height you determine and not a height determined by the manufacturer of the siphon. A bottling bucket assumes the solution and is not, IMO, the solution itself.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardsmith View Post
But Yooper, racking from one secondary to another even if there is no intention to bottle still means that you may have to keep the siphon rod above the sediment. If there is just a dusting the end fitting may keep the siphon off the bottom sufficiently to avoid sucking in lees but if there is a half inch or so I am not sure how you can successfully keep the transferred wines as clear as possible unless you have some way to keep the siphon at a height you determine and not a height determined by the manufacturer of the siphon. A bottling bucket assumes the solution and is not, IMO, the solution itself.
Of course you do. But if you're not bottling, you don't have your hands full at that time. It's easy to rack when you have both hands free, and I can rack a full carboy so that the light dusting of lees stays put without being disturbed. I tilt the carboy slightly, generally.

But trying to hold the siphon still, even with a clip, and trying to bottle at the same time means that it's almost impossible to avoid sucking up lees since you just don't have enough hands for that.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
bernardsmith
Recipes 

Fifteen , Love. Good point, Yooper.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
RegarRenill
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I tilt my carboys, as well, but after one decided to roll on my when the wine level dropped I made a "cradle" for them...it's roughly the same angle as the wedges you can buy from a hbs. I'm up to 4 made, thinking about making a 5th. If you guys like it, I'll post it in the DIY forum and post the link here...ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409228290.805458.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1409228325.967105.jpg

Quick Reply