Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hello, new to wine making

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #21
vvolf27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The closest thing I have to a LHBS is Ace Hardware. They just started stocking supplies recently. Only one person is kind of knowledgable. I ordered the beginner equipment kit from finevinewines and a Mosti Mondiale black cherry shiraz wine kit. I will go to ace hardware and get more carboys, plus they have a lot of additives in stock and will buy those items in the future locally. Hopefully in a week or so I will be producing my own wine!!

When adding water, do you recommend tap water or distilled?

Added: Question, on Apfelwein: how do you bottle this without carbonation? I don't have anything to carbonate it and I know it doesn't have to be carbonated. However I don't want bombs, so before I bottle what would I need to do? I read 28 pages of the apfelwein thread and never saw an answer on what to do. Thanks again for your help!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #22
Rossnaree
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'll just throw my two cents in and mention EC Kraus (www.eckraus.com); they have pretty complete kit selections and free shipping over $25. Very helpful staff, too. Even with the 2 kits that only come with 1 5-gallon bucket, they make available another at discount which still puts them well within other's prices, before shipping is added to the others. I'm not giving them a plug over anyone else, I just hadn't seen them mentioned.

With that said, maybe there's a REASON they haven't been mentioned, that I don't know about? I've had limited dealings with them but everything has always been A+++.

Some knowledge will never be shared, not from a desire to conceal it, but because it is so common to the individual that it is assumed to be already known.

Primary: Chardonel
Secondary: Apfelwein, Chambourcin, Blackstone Pond American Ale, King of the North, Concord, 2nd wine from pulp of both
Bottled: Bavarian Hefeweizen, Dortmunder, King of the North (2010), Apfelwein (2010), Lesser Wilderness Mead (2010), King of the North (2nd wine - 2010)

Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #23
Texron
Recipes 

VVolf-Apfell wine is embarrasingly simple to make. And it taste great. Not a bad place to start.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #24
DaveAllen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quality Wine and Ale Supply

Their kits blow EC Kraus out of the water. The shipping is enormous for small items, but for the kits, they can't be beat. For small items or just dribs and drabs, Kraus is the way to go, but for complete kits, I haven't found anyone who can get you what they can for total paid out the door.

Quick Reply