Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hello, new to wine making

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
Buffman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Probably the main difference will be shipping costs. Midwest charges shipping by weight; NB charges a flat $7.99 for just about everything they sell. What is the shipping on the Midwest kit?

You can probably get 750ml bottles cheaply (or even free) on Craigslist or at your local recycling center, so I wouldn't pay for them. You won't need them for several weeks after mixing up the kit, so you have time to look around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
vvolf27
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks again. Do you suggest the other kit they have ot the simple $100.00 one? I think the other one is $189 ish. I think I would also buy some extra glass carboys.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
zeppman301
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The one that you have shows that it comes with a wine kit, that is juice yeast and fining agents. Also it comes with 24 bottles (30 needed in total) However it does not have an auto siphon (not needed but sure is nice) nor does it come with a wine thief (which you kind of need to draw a sample out of a carboy for testing) That said there really isnt much different. My suggestion prior to buying is to write out or put into an excel sheet what each kit that you come across has. This way you can tell. Also no reason to buy the one kit just because it comes with a wine kit if you dont like the wine kit. Hope this helps, and let me know if you need any more advice.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
vvolf27
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not to concerned with the wine kit, just the supplies. The other one I was looking at because of the bottles

But did not know it lacked other needed items. When you see complete kit, you think it should have everything you need!!

Glad I came here and started asking!!

Old 11-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolf27 View Post
Thanks again. Do you suggest the other kit they have ot the simple $100.00 one? I think the other one is $189 ish. I think I would also buy some extra glass carboys.
Personally, I'm not convinced the deluxe kit is worth the extra money. What are you getting for another $80? Essentially, a "bottling bucket" (i.e., a bucket with a spigot) and a floor corker. I intend to bottle right from the carboy, using the autosiphon. Unless you're priming (to carbonate) it, why transfer before bottling? Seems like an unnecessary step that invites infection. The floor corker (looks like the Portugese model) may be worth it, depending on how many batches per year you intend to do. Posts on another forum, winemakingtalk.com, may have better info on corkers. For me, I'm going to see if I even like homemade wine before investing in that kind of hardware. Winemakingtalk.com has great feedback on all the wine kit brands, as well. Based on their input, I picked up a Cellar Craft Zin to make.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 PM   #16
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeppman301 View Post
...What you are looking for is the quantity of grape juice concentrate. I had no idea until I stumbled across this site which laid it out perfectly for me: http://www.finevinewines.com/how-to-choose-a-wine-making-kit.html ....
This is exactly something I was looking for. I think I'll start with a 10L kit then as soon as that is bottled start a larger kit and age in my carboy. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #17
vvolf27
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank you to all for your help and input. In the not to distant future I hope to be posting my first wine making experience!!

I here ya, better to spend that extra money on my extra carboys instead

Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolf27 View Post
I here ya, better to spend that extra money on my extra carboys instead
That's what I'd do.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #19
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I noticed that the midwest one comes with a plunger corker. Have any of you guys used one of these? It looks like it would be a pain to use.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #20
DoctorCAD
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
I noticed that the midwest one comes with a plunger corker. Have any of you guys used one of these? It looks like it would be a pain to use.
Stick with the double lever corker.

If you find a LHBS close to where you live, you will be surprised how much the workers there will want to help you get going. Mail order is nice, but the local shops are a much better resource for beginners, some of them will even let you do a kit there so you can get the hang of it.

Quick Reply