Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > hello brewfolk!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
ghettofix81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default hello brewfolk!

Firstly, its good to be amongst you all, I have read alot of really useful information on this forum! Thanks for allowing me to join in! I am making elderberry wine at the moment, its been in the large 'bin'for 2weeks and I was thinking of decanting into demijohns. ...I have no hydrometer but have tasted the mix, its still very sweet.should I hold out and get a hydrometer or go ahead and decant? Also should I add more yeast at this point? (Newby questions, I know but hey, im new! ) thanks for any advice, im enjoying the whole process and look forward to carrying on with it! Adam.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Welcome to the community. Wine can benefit well from patience. So wait for the hydrometer. Once the wine is at 1.01 gravity it is fine to decant at that point. There is no need to re-pitch yeast unless there is a stalled ferment and that is best told with a hydrometer.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
ghettofix81
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpolis View Post
Welcome to the community. Wine can benefit well from patience. So wait for the hydrometer. Once the wine is at 1.01 gravity it is few to decant at that point. There is no need to re-pitch yeast unless there is a stalled ferment and that is best told with a hydrometer.
Many thanks for your help! !ill hunt a hydrometer down today....and practice some patience too! !;-)

Quick Reply