Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Headroom for primary (AKA is my bucket too small!?!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #1
Rhys79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Headroom for primary (AKA is my bucket too small!?!)

Ok, just finished getting my first batch of wine ready to pitch and I think I have a small problem. My 6.5gal brew bucket is now full to about 1" from the top. I thought I had left myself with enough headroom, till I added sugar and went oh crap. Is this going to be enough room to go ahead and pitch without having a disastrous mess on my hands, or do I need to get a 7.9gal bucket and transfer first?

That would present the additional problem of the fact that all the local brew shops are closed Sun-Tue, which leaves me with a bucket of must sitting unpitched for three days . Will the must survive that long without being pitched, do I need to add sulphite each day or so to make sure nothing takes hold till then, or what?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What kind of yeast are you using?

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

It should be ok. You may get a little foam out of the top, so put it somewhere it won't stain if you get a little overflow. You don't get too much of a foamy head with wine. In primary, I just cover mine with a clean towel and then rack to secondary once the SG is 1.020 or below.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
Rhys79
Recipes 

I'm using Montrachet yeast. If Yooper thinks it'll be alright, I'll go ahead and pitch my yeast. I just didn't want a wine fountain all over my floor. I can always transfer to a larger bucket Wednesday when the shops are open and I can pick one up.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Texron
Recipes 

I have used Montrachet yeast on five batches of Apfell Wine. It produces little, tiny bubbles and is otherwise pretty uneventull. Like Yooper said, it should OK.

Quick Reply