Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Have I killed it on racking?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
Rezilynt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Níl_fhios_agam View Post
I just moved my first real home brew attempt into its secondary but just before I did I moved it and all the water in the air lock bubbler was pulled back into the brew

Now I am well annoyed.......can anyone put my mind at ease and at least tell me this has happened to them and all turned out well? Or is this certain infection.........

Also, on a small side issue, I moved at a little over 1.010 but it is recommened to move below 1.010, will this make much difference?
Yes, this has happened to me as well as many others. My beer turned out just like it was suppose to and did not get infected. Using Vodka is a good idea.
I cannot say if moving at 1.010 will make a big difference (i doubt it will), but I can tell you that bubbles are just a sign of CO2 being released and are not a good way to tell if your beer is done fermenting. After 1-2 weeks, take a hydrometer reading 3 days in a row (or 1 every other day for 6 days). If all of these readings are the same, then the fermenting is finished.

If farmers make wine and engineers make beer, what the hell am I doing here?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4251 Times on 3097 Posts
Likes Given: 807

I make quite a bit of wine, and it is different for wine than beer. You're getting conflicting information here, because "secondary" really does have a meaning in winemaking. In beer, there shouldn't be a "secondary" fermenter, it should be called a clearing tank because you rack the beer when finished to the clearing tank (or "bright tank"). So, you are confusing the "rules" of beer making with the procedures of winemaking.

In wine, primary lasts from 4-7 days usually, and is done in an open fermenter just loosely covered to keep critters out. This is when the fermentation is most active, and oxygen is good for the must at this time. The must is also often stirred, sometimes several times a day. When fermentation slows, (at about 1.010 SG or so), then the wine should be racked into a carboy with little headspace and then airlocked.

So, you did the right thing by moving it when you did. Don't worry about the small amount of water sucked back- it won't hurt the wine. I usually check the airlocks every few days, and just replace them if there are dead fruitflies in them or refill if they are low.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
Níl_fhios_agam
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I make quite a bit of wine, and it is different for wine than beer. You're getting conflicting information here, because "secondary" really does have a meaning in winemaking. In beer, there shouldn't be a "secondary" fermenter, it should be called a clearing tank because you rack the beer when finished to the clearing tank (or "bright tank"). So, you are confusing the "rules" of beer making with the procedures of winemaking.

In wine, primary lasts from 4-7 days usually, and is done in an open fermenter just loosely covered to keep critters out. This is when the fermentation is most active, and oxygen is good for the must at this time. The must is also often stirred, sometimes several times a day. When fermentation slows, (at about 1.010 SG or so), then the wine should be racked into a carboy with little headspace and then airlocked.

So, you did the right thing by moving it when you did. Don't worry about the small amount of water sucked back- it won't hurt the wine. I usually check the airlocks every few days, and just replace them if there are dead fruitflies in them or refill if they are low.
Thanks! My head was ready to explode with all the conflicting info....all the wine making books/guides suggest moving in 7-10 days to secondary, so thats put my mind at ease.

I shall let you know how it turns out!

Quick Reply