Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Has anyone made Sake before?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
billpa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Has anyone made Sake before?

I know Sake is not technically a wine but thought this would be the best place to post. I would like to make a small batch of Sake and was considering the MoreBeer.com kit as a starter. It seems relatively easy (at least thats what they claim). However, reading about it on the net, it seems a bit harder. Im curious if anyone as made Sake in the past and what advice they might give me. Also, I searched for the topic and read all the threads. I am still a bit confused.

Cheers,
Bill

Conditioning:
Drinking: Apfelwein, ESB, Cream Ale, Mocktoberfest Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
cj8scrambler

Recipes 

I tried once but I wasn't successful and I put it off. I don't remember all the proper terms, but I basically planned to do the following:

1. Steam some short grain rice (this can be hard to find)
  2. Add some mold spores to the rice (this is all that came in my kit)
  3. Leave the rice at 80 F, mix twice a day and let the rice get a nice white covering of white mold
  4. Add water, citric acid and yeast to the rice
  5. Ferment at cool temps
I managed to get past steps 1 & 2, but failed at 3. My first attempt I didn't keep the rice moist enough and the rice just dried out. On my second attempt, I got a nice white mold to form, but I let it go 1 day too long and it was then covered in yellow and black molds. I decided to shelve the project for the fall since the fermentation requires cool temps and my basement is too warm in the summer. The process seems to require more attention then beer brewing since you have to constantly check on the rice.

There are other simpler and other more complicated methods, but this is the basic steps I settled on. I found that the information online about this process is sparse and sometimes contradicting. It seems that brewing sake at home is illegal in Japan and that is where most of the knowledge is on the subject.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 AM   #3
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I toured a Sake factory a few years back in Aizuwakamatsu. Did not understand really anyting that they told me. Only thing that I got out of it is that you need really pure water to get a good Sake. Has something to do with the minerals and such. Come to think of it, I really don't remember finishing the tour

Secondary1 -
Secondary2 -
On Tap
Tap1 - Kelly's Rasberry Cream Ale 7/11/07
Tap2 - Black Stap Porter (8/25/07)
Tap3 - Hefeweizen 7/05/07
Waiting for tap\Conditioning
Keg1 -
Keg2 -
Keg3 -
Bottles
-
-

---------------------------------------------------

Old 07-12-2007, 06:14 AM   #4
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

they sell sake kits at my LHBS, thats all I can add to this thread though.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
skirent
Recipes 

Billpa - I am starting my own home brew this week. I have not finished a batch, but will document eveything I do and let you know how it goes. As of now I have some high grade small grain sushi rice from Martin Rice, Sake yeast from WYeast, and koji from Vision Brewing. Other than that I am winging it. If anyone has advice.. Please let me know. I have read TONS of online information. Let me know if you got any questions and I can try to answer. Also, I will plan on starting a thread that I can update and take pictues of my process in the future.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Never tried it myself, but here's a link to one of Fred Eckhart's recipes. http://recepty.veruska.cz:8000/_sys/eckhardt-sake.pdf.

Fred is one of the landmarks in Oregon homebrewing (actually he's fairly fast for 80+) and is also the Fred who inspired the brew by Hair of the Dog.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 AM   #7
Paul Watson
Recipes 

Default Sake Homebrew:I did not get to drink much of it myself.

Yes, there is a degree of skill required to make Sake. I followed the Vision Brewing recipes and used their koji-kin spores. The beginners recipe is ok but the intermediate and advanced produced a very pleasant intriguing drop indeed. However I recommend starting at the easy end of the project as there is little similarity to other homebrew projects.

The secrets seem to be:the kome- koji must be grown correctly with white fibers evident.There is a very good picture of this at their web site.
http://www.visionbrewing.com
You must really make sure the inoculated rice does not dry out or the other extreme that the condensation does not make the rice sodden. They recommend the "take away container" technique i.e.container wrapped in a towel with a large plastic bottle filled with hot water straight from the tap (60 degrees C) change every 12 hours. This worked well for me.

Secondly: temperature is important.. by keeping the temperature below 21 centigrade and use of hops in the water, infections can be avoided.

All in all, a very interesting and informative homebrew project producing a very nice drop.

The trouble is every one wants to try it, being unusual, I did not get to drink much of it myself.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

my boys asked me if I could make sake.....

subscribed

I'm back!!!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:36 AM   #9
Zymurgrafi

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpa
I know Sake is not technically a wine but thought this would be the best place to post. I would like to make a small batch of Sake and was considering the MoreBeer.com kit as a starter. It seems relatively easy (at least thats what they claim). However, reading about it on the net, it seems a bit harder. Im curious if anyone as made Sake in the past and what advice they might give me. Also, I searched for the topic and read all the threads. I am still a bit confused.

Cheers,
Bill

What would you like to know? Sorry missed this thread earlier or I would have posted. I actually came across it searching for a link to another thread for someone asking same question...

I brew a batch a year. I am pleased with it. A bit on the sweet side but nice.

sláinte!

Bristle Bros. Brewing

Old 08-18-2007, 03:27 PM   #10
billpa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. When I started searching the forum for sake posts, I did see your name come up alot. Im just looking to make a small batch of sake...would like to keep it as simple as possible for the first batch. Are the kits from B3 any good?

Conditioning:
Drinking: Apfelwein, ESB, Cream Ale, Mocktoberfest Ale

Quick Reply