Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hard Pink Lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
Frost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard Pink Lemonade

4 can of pink lemonade concentrate(no preservatives)
2 lbs. sugar
Water to make 2 gallons

I'm using montrachet yeast for this. The way I figure it should come to around 6% ABV. I plan to carbonate in the bottle around 3 months. I was wanting some input whether I should use acid blend and nutrients. I'm still pretty green at 'winemaking' so I figured I'd ask for all of your input. Constructive criticism on my recipe is welcome!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
toularat
Recipes 

I like to add 1/2 - 1 C DME (dried malt) when I make hard lemonade. I also use a yeast starter because it's hard to start a ferment with lemonade. I also use yeast nutrient in the starter, for the same reason.

Good luck - hope you like it.

Ageing: Apfelwein, Lodi Ranch 11, Plum, White Zin, Tomato, cider

Drinking: Cab, Rhubarb, Rhubarb Grape

Old 07-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts

I've never heard anything good about lemonade mix to make a hard lemonade. Think about it... you wouldn't use grape kool-ade to make merlot.

That being said, I say since you've already got it mixed up go ahead and let it go thru fermentation. I am guessing that you'll have to backsweeten when you're done because the yeast is going to eat up most/all of the sugar you dumped into it. I have a feeling you'll want this to be sweet.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" --George Carlin

Old 07-11-2009, 03:34 AM   #4
toularat
Recipes 

how would you make it? Lemonade concentrate will make a product like Mike's Hard Lemonade.

Ageing: Apfelwein, Lodi Ranch 11, Plum, White Zin, Tomato, cider

Drinking: Cab, Rhubarb, Rhubarb Grape

Old 07-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have made several batches of hard lemonade over the past few years and I use a yeast starter or a slurry from another batch of wine. No acid blend is needed as the lemonade is already acidic enough. Nutrients are a good thing.

You may want to acclimate your yeast to the lemonade a little at a time until it is working nicely, then pitch it into your primary. Add maybe 1/2 cup to your starter every few hours and let it work.

I don't carbonate my lemonade, but do add some sprite or soda water to the drink is someone wants it fizzy. Another alternative is to force carbonate the beverage then bottle it.

I also add 375ml of Lemoncello to my hard lemonade to kick it up a bit. We make the Lemoncello from Everclear so it's quite potent and flavorful.

I am at work and do not have my notes, but we make 3 gallon batches and I use 8 cans of minute maid lemonade and sugar (Simple Syrup if possible) to an S.G. of 1.075. You can sweeten or adjust your flavor by adding more lemonade mix later, but I have never had to do so. I have added a simple syrup made with fresh lemons as a sweetener and it works nicely.

Good luck.

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Last edited by bmckee56; 07-11-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Quick Reply