Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hard Lemonade question - yeast additives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #21
Dan_of_Earth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You can chill the fermenter, too, to try to stop it. The problem is that when it warms back up, it will probably start back up again.
I've been using that to my advantage, too. I've been making some sort of "summer refreshment" batches lately that are treated like hard lemonade in that they are consumed right after fermenting, but I am using all sorts of juice concentrates from the store. My favorite so far is the old orchard Apple/Kiwi/Strawberry, wow was that good. I bet it would make a great proper wine also.

Anyway, for these short life drinks I've taken to saving 2 liter soda bottles, using one can of juice concentrate and preparing in the container as directed, adding around 4 oz of sugar to up the alcohol, and a little yeast nutrient. When I've consumed one batch I have started adding juice right back to the yeast that has settled, and it jumps right back into fermentation right away. I only do this once though because I'm afraid of contaminates.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_of_Earth View Post
I've been using that to my advantage, too. I've been making some sort of "summer refreshment" batches lately that are treated like hard lemonade in that they are consumed right after fermenting, but I am using all sorts of juice concentrates from the store. My favorite so far is the old orchard Apple/Kiwi/Strawberry, wow was that good. I bet it would make a great proper wine also.

Anyway, for these short life drinks I've taken to saving 2 liter soda bottles, using one can of juice concentrate and preparing in the container as directed, adding around 4 oz of sugar to up the alcohol, and a little yeast nutrient. When I've consumed one batch I have started adding juice right back to the yeast that has settled, and it jumps right back into fermentation right away. I only do this once though because I'm afraid of contaminates.
I like this idea! Wonder where I can get some 2L or 3L bottles. I think one of the colas have that in the summer.

Ohhhh- I have some 5l mini kegs ! Hmmm.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 06-04-2009, 01:12 AM   #23
Dan_of_Earth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooyvilleLarry View Post
I like this idea! Wonder where I can get some 2L or 3L bottles. I think one of the colas have that in the summer.

Ohhhh- I have some 5l mini kegs ! Hmmm.
Go for it, I've really liked the stuff I've cooked up so far. I've found if you leave it in the fridge a minimum of 2 days but up to 7 it tastes much better. Especially as you get closer to 7 days much of the yeast has settled out.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:19 AM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4956 Times on 3588 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_of_Earth View Post

BTW I've been using Premier Cuvee yeast, and I have no idea if different yeasts will behave differently under the colder temps.
No. The yeast really are tough to kill- so I always let it ferment out and then simply add sorbate and campden when it is done, then back-sweeten.

I do admit, though, that I was often siphoning out a gallon or so out of the carboy and sticking it in the fridge to drink before it fermented out. I started with a 6 gallon carboy, and ended with a 3 gallon carboy. The best stuff was around 1.010-1.020, if I remember correctly.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 06-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #25
Dan_of_Earth
Recipes 

WOW...drinking some of this summer refreshment fruit juice now. I fermented some old orchard cranberry till it was dry, then popped it in the fridge about 4 days...tastes so nice.

Quick Reply