Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hard Lemonade question - yeast additives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Laurel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hard Lemonade question - yeast additives

So I want to make a hard lemonade. My intended recipe is:

11 cans lemonade concentrate
6.5 lbs sugar
1lb dme
a little pomegranate juice for color/flavor
Water to 5 gallons
cote des blanc

I understand that I need to spend about a week stepping up a starter in terms of acidity and size, and I've read that I need to use yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. I bought some yeast nutrient, do I really need the energizer?

Do I make my starter with my 1lb of dme, half a can of lemonade, and yeast nutrient? I'm unsure what to start it out as to get the yeast to start and and multiply before ramping up the acidity. In Yooper's thread, she said that she mixed up her "wort" and then slowly added it throughout the week and then pitched her huge starter. Will the unfermented lemonade mixture be ok for a week if I practice careful sanitation?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4658 Times on 3383 Posts
Likes Given: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
So I want to make a hard lemonade. My intended recipe is:

11 cans lemonade concentrate
6.5 lbs sugar
1lb dme
a little pomegranate juice for color/flavor
Water to 5 gallons
cote des blanc

I understand that I need to spend about a week stepping up a starter in terms of acidity and size, and I've read that I need to use yeast energizer and yeast nutrient. I bought some yeast nutrient, do I really need the energizer?

Do I make my starter with my 1lb of dme, half a can of lemonade, and yeast nutrient? I'm unsure what to start it out as to get the yeast to start and and multiply before ramping up the acidity. In Yooper's thread, she said that she mixed up her "wort" and then slowly added it throughout the week and then pitched her huge starter. Will the unfermented lemonade mixture be ok for a week if I practice careful sanitation?
I'm sure that I used some campden tablets at the very beginning, so that I was starting with a sanitized must.

Nutrient and energizer and different. For this acid environment, you probably need the energizer. If you don't have it, it'll probably be fine, though.

I'm not sure about the DME in the starter. That's easy for the yeast to ferment, so a little might be fine, but you may not want to use it all in the starter. If you make up the must, with a bit less lemonade, but with the DME in it, you could probably just use that to get the starter going.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
Laurel

Recipes 

So I should make almost all 5 gallons of the must (maybe with 1/2 the lemonade), add some camden tablets, and let it sit 24 hours for the camden to do its thing, then pull some out for a starter in my 1 gallon bottle, and slowly add more over the course of a week or so. Then pitch that after a week, and every few days(weeks?) feed it one more can of lemonade until I've fed it all 11 cans?

Old 04-28-2009, 01:40 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
So I should make almost all 5 gallons of the must (maybe with 1/2 the lemonade), add some camden tablets, and let it sit 24 hours for the camden to do its thing, then pull some out for a starter in my 1 gallon bottle, and slowly add more over the course of a week or so. Then pitch that after a week, and every few days(weeks?) feed it one more can of lemonade until I've fed it all 11 cans?
That's pretty close to what I'd do. I'd add the lemonade sooner, once it was going well. Like, as you're adding diluted must to the starter, and it's still going, add some more lemonade to the must. That way, you've got the starter going, and by the time it's ready, the must will be ready, too. There may be a very slight risk of infection, since the cans of lemonade aren't sulfited by you, but I'm sure that they are sanitary, and probably already sulfited or otherwise preserved by the manufacturer. Then, once I was adding undiluted must, and the starter was still going well, I'd pitch the whole thing into the full must. It should take a week or so altogether to get the starter and the must at about the same acidity.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Laurel

Recipes 

So I should put all 11 cans of lemonade in to begin with and not feed the must gradually over the course of a couple weeks to slowly ramp up acidity/sugar content like one would with a mead or imperial apfelwein (ala: EvilTOJ)?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Pogo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I begin my starter about a week before I make and fill my primary with it's batch.

1)Begin the starter by pitching the yeast into a room temp 65*-75* F pint/quart of sugared water. Every other day or so, add a little more sugar, water, and some citrus juice, till you reach your desired volume for your starter, 1/2-gallon, 1-gallon, etc.

2)Then...just make your batch as per your recipe, and pitch your yeast starter when the primary's contents are also at room temp.

Note: If something happens to change your plans (interrupts your schedule) once you've began your starter, simply stick it in the fridge till you are ready for it. Bring it back up to room temp, and proceed with your plans.

Pogo

Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
So I should put all 11 cans of lemonade in to begin with and not feed the must gradually over the course of a couple weeks to slowly ramp up acidity/sugar content like one would with a mead or imperial apfelwein (ala: EvilTOJ)?
I'd add all the cans, and then feed the starter with diluted must to start. Each feeding, make it a little less water and a little more must. Start with just about 1/2 must and 1/2 water, and gradually add more and stronger must until you're adding just must and no water diluting it. That should take about 3-5 days, because you want to make sure the starter is still cranking along.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Laurel

Recipes 

OK, Swell, I'll give it a shot!

Old 04-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #9
SD_Ken
Recipes 

I am real new to this. My first brew a light english ale and it should be ready to drink this weekend. My wife really likes Mike's hard Lemonade so that is what I would like to attempt next. Your recipe looks very similar to another I found, but the author of that recipe is no longer posting to the forum I found it on.

Here is the recipe that was posted there:
1 LB Light DME
2 LBS Corn Sugar
Sweet Mead Yeast
8 Cans Concentrated Lemonade
1 LB Frozen Rasberries
4 Gallons Water

boil the water for the DME and Corn Sugar.

Yeast nutrient and to leave a towel over the fermenter for the first night then to put the top on.

My question, is the Sweet Mead Yeast going to perform any better than a champagne yeast? The person who posted the recipe had tried an ale yeast initially and it didn't turn out well. Going through a few different sources and most of the recipes seem to use champagne yeast. Is there a reason I would choose one over the other?

Old 05-01-2009, 05:48 AM   #10
Ryan099
Recipes 

1 1/2 oz Jack Daniel's® Tennessee whiskey
1/2 oz sweet and sour mix
4 - 6 oz Squirt® citrus soda
1 splash grenadine syrup

Pour the Jack Daniels, Sweet and Sour over ice into a collins glass (or similar). Now pour in the Squirt Soda allowing the soda bubbles to do all the mixing. Drink and enjoy!

Adding a splash of Grenadine Cherry Syrup over the top will give it a sweeter flavor, almost like "pink-lemonade."

Quick Reply