New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hard Lemonade - Back Sweetening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Yooper
Frau Admin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3847 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 638

Yes, if you add all that concentrate and the sugar, you'll be looking at bottle bombs.

The yeast will eat the sugar, and don't stop just because you want them to. If you want to sweeten and bottle carb, you add just the amount of sugar required for carbonation, and then use a non-fermentable sweetener to sweeten.

It's easy to make a sweet, flat wine/cider/mead. You stabilize and then sweeten. That ensures the yeast will not ferment any more. That means you can't bottle carb.

It's also easy to make a dry sparkling drink. You add just enough sugar to prime for bottle carbing.

But making a sweetened, carbonated drink is very tricky. Even if you put everything in the fridge when the correct amount of carbonation is reached, the yeast can still keep fermenting in the bottle and lead to bottle bombs. That's why it's best to use a non-fermentable sweetener (even though they don't taste as good as sugar or honey!).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 04:00 PM   #12
SueMac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Yes, if you add all that concentrate and the sugar, you'll be looking at bottle bombs.

The yeast will eat the sugar, and don't stop just because you want them to. If you want to sweeten and bottle carb, you add just the amount of sugar required for carbonation, and then use a non-fermentable sweetener to sweeten.

It's easy to make a sweet, flat wine/cider/mead. You stabilize and then sweeten. That ensures the yeast will not ferment any more. That means you can't bottle carb.

It's also easy to make a dry sparkling drink. You add just enough sugar to prime for bottle carbing.

But making a sweetened, carbonated drink is very tricky. Even if you put everything in the fridge when the correct amount of carbonation is reached, the yeast can still keep fermenting in the bottle and lead to bottle bombs. That's why it's best to use a non-fermentable sweetener (even though they don't taste as good as sugar or honey!).

Thanks for responding, Yooper.
So, am I better off sweetening with wine conditioner or lactose, adding non-fermentable lime flavoring (if needed) and then add 3/4 corn sugar for carbing as I do when making beer? Thanks again!
P.S. As I used your recipe for the most part, do you ever bottle carb or do you just make still lemonade or keg?

Old 06-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #13
stoneman
Recipes 

I racked the Lemonade into the keg, on top of 5 crushed campden tablets and 1 1/4 teaspoons of potassium sorbate. I sealed the keg with CO2, and placed it in the keezer.

The carboy leftovers I racked into a jug in the fridge. My wife thought it seemed to tart, so I added sugar to the jug ( about .5 cup ) until it tasted right. In a couple of days I will make 6 cups of invert sugar and add it to the keg and pressurize for sparking hard lemonade.

Thanks Everybody!

Kegged - Treehouse of Horror Pumpkin Amber
Kegged - Barney's Blackberry Porter
Kegged - Apfelwine

Last edited by stoneman; 06-11-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #14
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueMac View Post
Thanks for responding, Yooper.
So, am I better off sweetening with wine conditioner or lactose, adding non-fermentable lime flavoring (if needed) and then add 3/4 corn sugar for carbing as I do when making beer? Thanks again!
P.S. As I used your recipe for the most part, do you ever bottle carb or do you just make still lemonade or keg?
If you use wine conditioner, you can't bottle carb. It has sorbate or benzoate in it, so that you can sweeten it.

If you want to sweeten and carb, you're on the right track. Splenda or lactose, lime flavoring (OR figure out the amount of sugar in the concentrate and use that for priming), and regular corn sugar.

I didn't make hard lemonade this year. Last year, we didn't bottle carb or sweeten! I like it still, and my husband likes it dry. So, we bottled it still and dry. It's great over ice- like lemonade with vodka.

But now..................hearing about kegging it makes me want to make some more and keg it. That might be just the ticket! I bought 2 3-gallon kegs today, and maybe hard lemonde would be great in one of them!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #15
SueMac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"(OR figure out the amount of sugar in the concentrate and use that for priming)"

Please forgive my ignorance, but other than by trial and taste, how do I do that? Thanks again!!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #16
Yooper
Frau Admin

Recipes 

Quote:
"(OR figure out the amount of sugar in the concentrate and use that for priming)"

Please forgive my ignorance, but other than by trial and taste, how do I do that? Thanks again!!
The amount of sugar should be listed on the can. It'll take some math, but you could calculate it out.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
SueMac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, Yooper!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #18
Veinman
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Thanks, Yooper!
Hey I just started some limeade very similar to SueMac's recipe a week ago. The SG started at 1.080 and it is dropping steadily to about 1.060 today. I'm going to continue to let it drop until at least 1.00 and was wondering what you ended up doing Sue?

How far did you let your SG fall (and what ABV did that yield)
Did you end up with flat sweet, sweet carbed or dry carbed?

How did it all taste?

Ultimately I would like to have a sweet, carbonated hard limeade similar to Mike's but realize that means I can't carb with sugar which is too bad because I really hate Splenda and fake sugars (I can't stand Diet Soda).

Also I realize that if I end up with a high ABV of like 10-12% I could always mix it with Sprite or Soda water to get the carbonation as my audience won't want a 12% drink.

Finally a popular drink with my friends is a Coke/Limeade/Vodka mix in the summer (sounds awful but is quite delicious) so I'm thinking a 12% limeade crossed with 40-50% coke could be perfect. Usually we make them about 6-8% vodka.

Rambling done I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Quick Reply