Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Hard Lemonade - Back Sweetening

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #1
stoneman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard Lemonade - Back Sweetening

I know I'm getting ahead of myself since I just started a 5 gallon batch of Yooperbrew's Hard Lemonade today. I will be kegging it so I don't have to worry about bottle bombs.

If it is too dry, can I just use some wine conditioner to sweeten it?

Or am I better off using Campden Tablets and Pottasium Sorbate when fermentation is complete, waiting a couple of days and then sweetening to taste?

Thanks Everybody.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd recommend using the PS and waiting a few days before back sweetening. Always worked for me.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
stoneman
Recipes 

Thanks Bill!

Old 05-27-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I'd recommend using the PS and waiting a few days before back sweetening. Always worked for me.
X2 You don't want to sweeten till it's done fermenting. Give it some time to finish before killing the yeast.
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too

Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey Stoneman-
This sure does take a while to ferment! I am on day 10 and it is still perking about every 5 secs or so. I took a reading the other day and it was @ 6.26% ABV.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 05-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #6
stoneman
Recipes 

Well it's still in primary, I keep stirring the heck out of it every time I think of it. But other than getting frothy when I stir it, there doesn't seem to be a lot going on. I know it's not beer and doesn't react like beer, but thought I would see visible signs of fermentation. I'll have to take a hydrometer reading (and taste test) next time I stir.

Thanks Everybody!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
spriggan486
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Don't get discouraged stoneman. I have a batch of hard lemonade going that took a whopping 5 days to start fermenting. It only started fermenting when i threw in some yeast nutrient and energizer, along with a starter I had made on day 4.

After that, it started right up, and this morning, it is bubbling about once every 2.5 - 3 seconds.

It's on day 6 now.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #8
stoneman
Recipes 

I think my batch has finished fermenting. The airlock was crazy for the first few days of secondary. (Happily bubbling away) I was a little concerned because whiffs from the airlock smelled like rocket fuel.
I took a gravity today (and a taste test ) and it looks to be down to about 1.00 from 1.08 . It tastes pretty good, a little potent, but not as tart as I was expecting. I'm debating stabilizing and back sweetening but I'm not sure if it needs it. I think I'll let my SWMBO make that call.
In all honesty, I'm not sure if I need to stabilize it. I'm planning on kegging it, won't the cold crash the yeast anyway? It will carbonate from the CO2, and if it needs to be sweeter, couldn't I just add it to the keg?

Or will I have potential for bottle bombs If I decide to use the Biermeister Beer gun to bottle?

Thanks Yoop for the recipe! Thanks everyone else for all of the help here.

Kegged - Treehouse of Horror Pumpkin Amber
Kegged - Barney's Blackberry Porter
Kegged - Apfelwine

Old 06-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
Koric
Recipes 

I've got 5 gallons going in the primary right now too. When I added the yeast starter I swear I could hear the lemonade in the carboy laughing at me. Needless to say I did up a second starter and this one took off like a rocket! It started bubbling away les then 8 hours after pitching and hasn't stopped in 7 days. It has slowed a little in the last day or two.

I still haven't decided if I want to back sweeten it or not. I’m going to wait until I’m ready to bottle to decide.

I was thinking of adding lemoncello (yes picked up some of Danny Devito’s) to some it before I bottle d it but that again will have to wait for the taste test.

I can't wait to try this.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
SueMac
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Need some advise, please:

I started a Hard Limeade on 5/24 and I'm ready to bottle this week. My question is regarding bottle carbing/conditioning... This is the recipe I used:

For 5 gallons:

10 cans MM frozen limeade
5 LBS cane sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp yeast energizer
4 gallons water
Pkt of Champagne yeast
To Carb:
5 additional cans frozen limeade
3 ¾ cup additional sugar
Raspberry extract or flavoring: enough for 2.5 gallons

Let limeade thaw by putting hot water in pot and submerge cans. Either do in several pots or once thawed, put some in fridge until all thawed.
Bring 1 gallon water to boil; slowly add 15 cups sugar. Stir well to dissolve.
In clean primary, add thawed limeade. Rinse out cans with water from gallons and add to primary, adding remaining gallons. Add water/sugar mixture. Stir well to mix. Temperature should be around 70 degrees. Take hydrometer reading (1.070 to 1.100 – no lower than 1.060). OG was 1.080Add yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. Pitch yeast and cover with cloth.

Once “head” or foam drops, take SG.SG was 1.000 Rack to carboy if close to done. Put on bung and airlock.

My plan to backsweeten and carb:

Once SG reaches .990, rack to primary. Add 5 cans thawed limeade and 3 ¾ cups sugar. To half, add raspberry flavoring ( 2 bottles of McCormick Raspberry Extract: contains water propylene glycol, alcohol 20%, extractives of raspberry, citric acid, food coloring and natural flavors). Rack to beer bottles.

I've made a one gallon (info on another post). I overcarbed with additional carb tabs (was not thinking!!)... Will the limeade, which has some sugars in it and the additional sugar be too much and create bottle bombs again? I'd rather not omit sugar as I like end result flavor... Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply