Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Guesses on what this bizarre stuff in my fermenter is?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 02:58 AM   #1
Sputnik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Guesses on what this bizarre stuff in my fermenter is?

Hi,

So I thought I'd get creative and make up a fermented drink out of the blue. Unfortunately I did not keep notes so I do not remember the exact ingredients or amounts but it was something like this:
Brown sugar.
Anise.
Sarsparilla root.
water strained from steeping in oats.

I basically boiled all of the ingredients together and then pitched in some wine yeast and let ferment for about 3 weeks. When I went to inspect at the end of the fermenting period I discovered an unusual culture type seaweed looking mass at the bottom of the jug it was in. The liquid itself is a very nice brown and has an interesting sarsparilla flavor and is seemingly around wine strength. The stuff at the bottom is kind of gray. It is thick at the bottom and then there are finger/tentacle/seaweed type of things that make up the top. The photo is of it doubled over on itself after pouring some liquid out.
And here is a photo of it after all the liquid has been poured out and the gunk is torn apart.

I'm pretty sure it is okay to drink this stuff but I'm just curious as to what it is that I've made as a by product. A yeast culture? Any guesses?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
Sputnik
Recipes 

Default What is this gunk I made?!?

Hi,

So I thought I'd get creative and make up a fermented drink out of the blue. Unfortunately I did not keep notes so I do not remember the exact ingredients or amounts but it was something like this:
Brown sugar.
Anise.
Sarsparilla root.

I basically boiled all of the ingredients together and then pitched in some wine yeast and let ferment for about 3 weeks. When I went to inspect at the end of the fermenting period I discovered an unusual culture type seaweed looking mass at the bottom of the jug it was in. The liquid itself is a very nice brown and has an interesting sarsparilla flavor and is seemingly around wine strength. The stuff at the bottom is kind of gray. It is thick at the bottom and then there are finger/tentacle/seaweed type of things that make up the top. The photo is of it doubled over on itself after pouring some liquid out.
And here is a photo of it after all the liquid has been poured out and the gunk is torn apart.

I'm pretty sure it is okay to drink this stuff but I'm just curious as to what it is that I've made as a by product. A yeast culture? Any guesses?

Thanks

Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
Sputnik
Recipes 

Default What is this gunk that I made?

Hi,

Brown sugar.
Anise.
Sarsparilla root.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
nilo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

The vertical lines or fingers as you said are created by the co2 moving thru the trub as it goes up. You can see this same thing in a regular beer fermentation.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I don't see anything that looks like seaweed... I do see what looks like trub (basically, everything that dropped out of suspension during your fermentation.)

Old 03-06-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Why did you post this in two different places?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seems like A LOT of lees.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:09 AM   #8
Sputnik
Recipes 

Sorry, new here. Didn't realize posting it on different forums would link together like this, thought I'd cover my bases.
Yeah, seaweed was a bad descriptor. Just at a loss of words. I've never seen lees do that before and the strange thing was that my wash seemed clear of sediments before fermentation.
Thanks for the replies and apologies again for the annoyance of posting it in more than one place.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

It's generally not good form to post the same question in multiple areas anyways, even if it's an odd, vague question. I'd probably have put this into either the beginner's area or the general section since it doesn't fit any of the other categories.

As mentioned it's definately trub. And I expect that it's mostly composed of yeast (which is normal) and in your case, the sasparilla root, anise (depending on what form you used) and all the solids that were contained in the oats.
I've had two oat brews so far and seen other people's and there tends to be a lot of things that fall out from oats. My trub from my primary looked pretty much like that and the solids I had in mine were oats, cocoa (in one them) and yeast. So I'm pretty sure its all the solids dropping out from the oats.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

How did it taste?

Quick Reply