The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > The Great Makgeolli Experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #21
geniz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I diluted some of the makgeolli as before. 2 parts makgeolli to 1 part water and sweetened the same way as before. No changes here.

I still prefer it full strength.

I've also tried it diluted with 1/3 ginger ale or sprite to sweeten and cut the ABV. It's good this way too.

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
bruptcymanor
Recipes 

Thanks for posting your experience!

I have never homebrewed anything, but I love makgeolli and wanted to try it out. I just did a half recipe, though, because my jar only has capacity for that. Otherwise, I followed the recipe to the letter.

However, this morning I woke up and all I had was a big jar of moist rice with some residual liquid in the bottom. Any interpretation and help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #23
bruptcymanor
Recipes 

Oops, double post.

Last edited by bruptcymanor; 02-01-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: double

Old 02-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #24
geniz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruptcymanor
Thanks for posting your experience!

I have never homebrewed anything, but I love makgeolli and wanted to try it out. I just did a half recipe, though, because my jar only has capacity for that. Otherwise, I followed the recipe to the letter.

However, this morning I woke up and all I had was a big jar of moist rice with some residual liquid in the bottom. Any interpretation and help would be appreciated. Thanks.
You'll be fine. At the beginning, all the rice will float to the top with only a bit of liquid on the bottom. Stir this up twice a day with a sanitized spoon. As each day goes by, less and less of the rice will float. Just keep stirring twice a day. You'll know it's ready when most of the rice is at the bottom of the jar. That will take about 5 days.

Please post your results.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #25
rocky6501
Recipes 

Just whipped up my first batch of this using your recipe. The only differences are the following:

- the "steamed rice" portion in my batch consists of 1/3 flaked wheat, also purchased at the korean HK market
- using cote du rhone yeast, since it is supposed to be a lower attenuator (keep it sweet) and gives pear esters (like sake yeast)
- fermenting at 65F to hopefully keep it mild
- the 'nuruk' portion is substituted with red kome koji, which I have a buttload of in the freezer from my occasional sake making. got this from gemlabs.com

Have you any recent successes with the makkgeoli?

I'm on day 3 at the moment, and have been stirring it up 2x a day and its going well so far. It smells really good.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 PM   #26
geniz
Recipes 

I haven't made any in a couple of months, been busy with beer. But I've been sticking to my original recipe and its consistently great.

Let me know how yours turns out!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #27
dr_al
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

i still have my nuruk but have not made this yet, i just need to pickup some rice and get to it, i hope i have not let my nuruk sit around to long.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #28
sojuman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default my mac

Using the 1-10-16 recipe I was able to make some AWESOME macoli...zero acidity, rice flower bouquet, milky smooth and dry. I used sweet rice...less than fully cooked (new crop), walmart yeast (2 table spoons) and low temp...18deg celcius...in a Coleman water cooler (slightly pressurized). My parents were blown away with the quality. They are from Pochun north of Seoul where the worlds best macoli is made.

Other things I tried and failed...too much water...yuk
wine yeast...yuk
too hot temp 30+C...yuk
brown rice...nutty but yuk.

I saw a documentary on Macoli and it seems to be temp control that is the secret...some also use raw rice powder and steamed flour.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #29
geniz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojuman View Post
Using the 1-10-16 recipe I was able to make some AWESOME macoli...zero acidity, rice flower bouquet, milky smooth and dry. I used sweet rice...less than fully cooked (new crop), walmart yeast (2 table spoons) and low temp...18deg celcius...in a Coleman water cooler (slightly pressurized). My parents were blown away with the quality. They are from Pochun north of Seoul where the worlds best macoli is made.

Other things I tried and failed...too much water...yuk
wine yeast...yuk
too hot temp 30+C...yuk
brown rice...nutty but yuk.

I saw a documentary on Macoli and it seems to be temp control that is the secret...some also use raw rice powder and steamed flour.
Excellent! Can you give your exact recipe with the rice powder and flour?
I have always let mine go at room temp. Abt 20C. Thought the nuruk might need higher temps but I think I'll try fermenting colder.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #30
sojuman
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniz View Post
Excellent! Can you give your exact recipe with the rice powder and flour?
I have always let mine go at room temp. Abt 20C. Thought the nuruk might need higher temps but I think I'll try fermenting colder.
It is pretty much the same as the others but here are the tricky parts..

Don't over cook the rice ...results in liquidfied wort.
Lower the temperature the less sour it appears 15-18C can not detect any sourness. The macoli factory mentioned that their brew always taste better in the winter. They would not reveal their exact temperatures though.

Cool the rice and nuruk well. I always rushed this step as it appears that the warm pockets activates the bacteria in the nuruk leading to sourness.

I am paranoid about contaminants so I use a semi-sealed coleman cooler where I shut the valve 90 percent which only allows air out when the cooler has a small pressure inside...during fermentation, I hear a constant hissing sound. I shake it 2 times a day like others.

I used smaller amount of nuruk than others not ground up in a blender. I saw on youtube that the guy grinds his nuruk...but I have not had a good experience doing that...it just liquifies the wort. I heard people using even less than me with good results. I guess all nuruk is not created equal because some nuruk actually contain hops...this is probably why there are so many variations.

As well H-mart also sells a macoli kit that you just add water and wait. It turned out ok but mine was 100x better. The macoli kit tasted funny with the taste of cotton bag that it reside in overpowering.

Quick Reply