The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Grapefruit wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2013, 04:16 AM   #1
loren601
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grapefruit wine

Today I started a 5 gallon 24 pound batch of grapefruit wine

image-1537759014.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Arpolis
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Hey no fare. DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS!

Seriously Gratz on the starting of a new wine. It is always fun to get somthing new going to see what you can get. If you don't mind what recipe did you use? What is the starting gravity or potential ABV? What yeast was your choice? We all love to know how new wines start so that if you talk about it when it is finished, if we like the results some of us may give this a try.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How did you incorporate the fruit? I see you have a bag...peeled, membranes removed, simply sliced, etc? 24# of fruit, how much water did you add?
Your recipe would be most appreciated.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 02-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
loren601
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc
How did you incorporate the fruit? I see you have a bag...peeled, membranes removed, simply sliced, etc? 24# of fruit, how much water did you add?
Your recipe would be most appreciated.
I used a knifes and removed both the peal and membrane of the grapefruit as little white as possible. I even removed the center white part of the fruit.. I placed the "clean" grapefruit and 2 pounds of diced up raisins in a nylon bag and mashed the fruit. I got about 2 gals of juice and added 3 gallons of water. Then I put approximately 15 lbs of sugar. That's it

Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

What yeast are you using and what was starting gravity? Any idea how long you plan to leave the fruit in the primary?
No airlock yet, just in primary bucket and lid/cloth resting on top?
White or pink grapefruit?

Very good move on the grapefruit prep! Later in the secondary you may want to add some zest or pith-free peel. I bet this would be good with some ginger. Or if you think you may backsweeten make a grapefruit zest infused simple syrup.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
JustinCider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I have a one gallon batch of some ruby red grapefruit I'm going to bottle this weekend. Straight up rocket fuel at this point. It has fermented very dry and needs to be degassed like crazy. It seemed to be almost carbed when i racked it over and stabilized it last weekend. Heres my recipe...I cant remember where i copied it from.

GRAPEFRUIT WINE (Dry) (1)

6 large grapefruit
2 lbs granulated sugar (4 cups)
Handful Raisins
water to 1 gal
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast starter
Sauterne yeast ( I used EC1118)

Scrub grapefruit clean. Peel one grapefruit thinly, making sure no white pith adheres to peel. Put peel in primary with half the sugar, the crushed Campden tablet, juice from all six grapefruit, yeast nutrient, and enough water to bring up to one gallon, stirring well to dissolve sugar. Cover primary with clean cloth.
After 12 hours, add pectic enzyme.
After additional 12 hours, add yeast.
After two days of vigorous fermentation, add remaining sugar, stir well, and allow additional two days vigorous fermentation in primary. Discard peel, transfer to secondary and fit airlock.
Rack every 30 days, topping up each time. After fifth racking, bottle and set aside at least 6 months. [Adapted from Dorothy Alatorre's Home Wines of North American]

I'm going to back-sweeten with some concentrate...it needs it badly. Also a quick side note on this...when i added the second batch of sugar per the recipe the fermentation got so crazy i had a volcano of juice go all over the table! It was really pretty cool looking during fermentation as you could watch a swirling vortex of action going on in the container.

O.G. 1.13
F.G. .999
A.B.V. 17.32%

Not very tasty at this point...I will add notes as time goes by.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
saramc
Recipes 

Justin...from the photo it still looks a bit hazy. Am I imagining that? Just remember to allow it to test for 10-14 days after stabilizing and backsweetening because you typically drop more sediment..thus rack one final before bottling. What concentrate do you plan to b/s with? Looks nice though!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Justin...from the photo it still looks a bit hazy. Am I imagining that? Just remember to allow it to test for 10-14 days after stabilizing and backsweetening because you typically drop more sediment..thus rack one final before bottling. What concentrate do you plan to b/s with? Looks nice though!
I agree. And if it's gassy, instead of degassing, I'd let it sit at least 60 days. If no new lees fall after 60 days, then it could sweetened. If no new lees fall again after 45-60 days, then I would consider bottling it.

That recipe looks like one from Jack keller's website.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
JustinCider
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Thanks for the info guys...I'll let it sit another month and see what happens. I've been searching the local stores for a ruby red to BS with but i can only find regular grapefruit concentrate. I've thinking of white grape as well...no clue really.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Thanks for the info guys...I'll let it sit another month and see what happens. I've been searching the local stores for a ruby red to BS with but i can only find regular grapefruit concentrate. I've thinking of white grape as well...no clue really.
Just remember a concentrate may cloud things back up. Just depends.

Quick Reply