The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Grape wine tastes really floral...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #1
winenewb172
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Grape wine tastes really floral...

So I made a wine with concord grape jam and concord grape juice and it's in the secondary now with a gravity reading of 1.01 it tastes really good but is quite flowery. Not what I expected but quite good is this normal? I'm really only used to home made country wines and sweet reds from a local winery so im no expert. Just thought I'd ask.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What yeast did you use? What temp did you ferment at? What was OG and start date? Does it smell like geraniums by chance?

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc
What yeast did you use? What temp did you ferment at? What was OG and start date? Does it smell like geraniums by chance?
I used red star champagne yeast and it stayed at about 70 degrees it's very high alcohol which is what I was going for with that yeast. Idk what geraniums smell like. What's the significance?

Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Didn't take a gravity reading when I started cuz I had broke my hydrometer but I'd say it was pretty high it's been going for four weeks one in primary and three in secondary

Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I think it has something to do with the yeast maybe cuz all three things I have going with it smell the same

Old 03-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The sg has stayed the same for a few days but I still have air lock bubbles is this because my wine is degassing itself? It tastes better today too!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winenewb172 View Post
The sg has stayed the same for a few days but I still have air lock bubbles is this because my wine is degassing itself? It tastes better today too!
If your gravity is above 1.000 then you are more than likely still fermenting, though since we do not know a starting gravity it is truly hard to say. It honestly can sometimes take a few weeks for those last points to drop. Your yeast has a tolerance of 13-15%, so my gut says still fermenting especially since you are just beyond four weeks (though it is a shot in the dark since we do not know OG).

If it were mine, I would rack in another week if necessary, otherwise rack in about a month and then every 1-2 months as long as dropping sediment. Just about every jam wine I made was racked monthly & clear/degassed & being consumed as early as 90days, but it gets really good with age. My 2011 boysenberry is my favorite along with black raspberry.

Anyway, if it is still percolating it will just do its thing. Remember to dose with SO2 at least quarterly & specifically before you initiate degassing (if you do that vs allow nature to do it).

Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

How much does temp affect the hydrometer reading cuz my hydrometer says 65 degrees on it and mine wine is a bit warmer? Can I just cool my sample down a bit?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
saramc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winenewb172 View Post
How much does temp affect the hydrometer reading cuz my hydrometer says 65 degrees on it and mine wine is a bit warmer? Can I just cool my sample down a bit?
Many hydrometers have a set temperature standard of 59F or 60F, your hydrometer should say it, usually on the inset scale or package insert.

This provides an easy overview along with a precalculated table, I believe it is based on a 59F calibration point, http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

And Dreaded Dave's allows you to plug in original gravity data plus the temperature of the must and it adjusts per 60F calibration to calculate potential ACV. Then when ferment is complete, you plug in the final gravity plus temp at that time and it gives you actual ACV, etc. You can also establish actual ACV by plugging in different data combos like if your FG is 1.000 @68F, or 0.998 @67F--so you can get a better idea of where your actual ACV will be if it finishes at a certain SG vs another. It makes a big difference on your ACV if you fail to calibrate. http://dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm

Old 03-14-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
winenewb172
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

Many hydrometers have a set temperature standard of 59F or 60F, your hydrometer should say it, usually on the inset scale or package insert.

This provides an easy overview along with a precalculated table, I believe it is based on a 59F calibration point, http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixA.html

And Dreaded Dave's allows you to plug in original gravity data plus the temperature of the must and it adjusts per 60F calibration to calculate potential ACV. Then when ferment is complete, you plug in the final gravity plus temp at that time and it gives you actual ACV, etc. You can also establish actual ACV by plugging in different data combos like if your FG is 1.000 @68F, or 0.998 @67F--so you can get a better idea of where your actual ACV will be if it finishes at a certain SG vs another. It makes a big difference on your ACV if you fail to calibrate. http://dd26943.com/davesdreaded/tools/convert.htm
Thanks so much you've been very helpful!

Quick Reply