Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Grape wine from...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
novalou
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Complete dryness is 0.990. You'll end up with something that's off dry. You can always add juice or sugar to sweeten it up if need be.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, even 0.996 is dry to my palate..but there are a few definitions of dry out there.But if you need to sweeten up your PG kit, when it is down to 0.99_, add k-meta plus sorbate and backsweeten to taste.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm5087 View Post
Ok maybe I'm missing something here, sorry if this is a stupid question. We bought a Winexpert Pinot G. kit and everything seems to be going well. But I am confused, it says to allow the wine to ferment down to .996 SG which I understood to be a dry wine? We were anticipating/hoping this being a sweet wine.... Did we just assume wrong? Or am I missing something? Help appreciated!
Pinot noir is a dry red table wine. http://wine.about.com/od/redwines/g/PinotNoir.htm

If you want a sweet wine, you could buy a wine kit for a sweet wine to make it easier.

If you want to sweeten this wine, you can do so after the stabilizing/degassing/etc step before bottling. But I wouldn't. The idea of a sweet pinot noir just seems weird to me.

And yes, .996 is dry. Anything under about 1.000 is dry, with about 1.000 to 1.002 or so "off dry" a bit.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #14
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Pinot noir is a dry red table wine. http://wine.about.com/od/redwines/g/PinotNoir.htm

If you want a sweet wine, you could buy a wine kit for a sweet wine to make it easier.

If you want to sweeten this wine, you can do so after the stabilizing/degassing/etc step before bottling. But I wouldn't. The idea of a sweet pinot noir just seems weird to me.

And yes, .996 is dry. Anything under about 1.000 is dry, with about 1.000 to 1.002 or so "off dry" a bit.
I stand corrected on the dryness scale.

However, I did have a Zinfindel finish at 0.996 and have had someone call it "sweet". It wasn't, but I think the fruity flavor came out as "sweetness". Moral of the story for our wine making friend, let fermentation run its course and taste the final product. I might surprise you.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
I stand corrected on the dryness scale.

However, I did have a Zinfindel finish at 0.996 and have had someone call it "sweet". It wasn't, but I think the fruity flavor came out as "sweetness". Moral of the story for our wine making friend, let fermentation run its course and taste the final product. I might surprise you.
I know what you mean! I have a wonderful crabapple wine (recipe posted). It's dry- .990-.994 every single time I make it. I like dry table wines, so I never sweeten. But because it's so fruity, more than one person has called it "sweet". It's about the aroma, and the perception.

But when you measure it, it's dry with no residual sugar left.

This wine may surprise you. If you like pinor noir, which is always dry, then you will like the wine kit too.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #16
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm5087 View Post
Ok maybe I'm missing something here, sorry if this is a stupid question. We bought a Winexpert Pinot G. kit and everything seems to be going well. But I am confused, it says to allow the wine to ferment down to .996 SG which I understood to be a dry wine? We were anticipating/hoping this being a sweet wine.... Did we just assume wrong? Or am I missing something? Help appreciated!
I believe he is talking about the Pinot Grigio kit... (pinot g.) Which will finish out 'dry' but will have a light fruit characteristic. Not my thing, but it's a kit I've been told is good!

Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer View Post
I believe he is talking about the Pinot Grigio kit... (pinot g.) Which will finish out 'dry' but will have a light fruit characteristic. Not my thing, but it's a kit I've been told is good!
Oh, I thought he was talking about pinot noir- sorry about that! Pinot grigio is also dry, but a white instead of red. It's fruity and acidic, so it's "crisp".

Quick Reply