Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Grains in Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
ProfessorPlum
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Grains in Wine

Lately I've been interested in making some strong dessert type wines and the thought crossed my mind that I might be able to use some specialty grains such as crystal 80 or 120 to add some interesting character to such wines. Has anyone here ever tried this with any success? I thought I'd probably just steep the grains and add to the wine in secondary. Whaddaya all think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I put crystal 120 in my carmel apple wine. It would have tasted great, if I had not used cane syrup.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great thread on using 60L crystal malt in the making of a well received caramel apple mead... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/caramel-apple-mead-68519/

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 03-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Great thread on using 60L crystal malt in the making of a well received caramel apple mead... http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/caramel-apple-mead-68519/
I guess it was 60L that I used. It was leftover from the Carmel Apple Mead, I made my husband. It is aging now as we speak. I did not like the taste at all, before I bottled it. I am hoping all of you are right and it ages out nice. I am sure it has something to do with my dislike of honey.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzAnnie View Post
I guess it was 60L that I used. It was leftover from the Carmel Apple Mead, I made my husband. It is aging now as we speak. I did not like the taste at all, before I bottled it. I am hoping all of you are right and it ages out nice. I am sure it has something to do with my dislike of honey.
Professor, I saved my spent grains, by freezing them in portioned ziplock bags, and use them when I am baking bread... about a half a cup to a two loaf batch.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
ProfessorPlum
Recipes 

Interesting. I've not tried using Spent grains for baking. A nice added touch of fiber I suppose to your bread. This caramel apple mead sounds intriguing, but I am shooting for some similar flavors to that in a brandy or even a bourbon, so the sweet raisin/prune flavors from a dark crystal malt might be good for the brandyish flavor or a lighter crystal malt like 40l for a bourbon-esque flavor. I plan on oaking for a good long time after using the specialty grains also. I guess really the only way I'll know for sure is to try it. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply