Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Google has failed: looking for winterberry recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Flon18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Google has failed: looking for winterberry recipe

So its October and there are these berry's across from my house. Lots of them, the trees are bent over from the weight. My research has narrowed down that they are winterberrys. The Winemakers recipe handbook (small pink book from my starter kit) lists as a berry that wine can be made from but with no recipe. And google has failed me a very sad and rare occurrence.

So any one have any experience with the winterberry or know were I can find some info.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
lapaglia
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Its a kind of Holly. I have found 4 sites that say its not edible by mammals but bird do like it. Since it is a Holly variety Id stay away from it.

On Deck: 90 Shilling Clone

Last edited by lapaglia; 10-25-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #3
hcarter
Recipes 

Google Jack Keller. He's got a home winemaker site that has recipe's for everything. If anybody would have it he would. If he doesn't I wouldn't make it.

Creag `An Tuirc
A Highlander likes two things naked. The other's Scotch.
- Howard
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-make-yeast-starter-pictorial-76101/

Old 10-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Flon18
Recipes 

so yes ive read about them not being edible and y. It a chemical like caffeine that you would not want a small child eating alot of because it would make them sick. I think it be fine for diluting into a wine.

My excitement rests in that pink book.

Funny I was reading Jack kellers site when I stopped to check if any one had posted. And no its not listed there.

Thanks for the impute so far.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 793 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 2115

Flon18: Just to be on the safe side, I'd take a cutting from the plant, including leaves & berries, or at least a couple of good close-up pics to your local county extension agent for positive identification. You may indeed be correct & all your research may be of top quality, but the county extension agent is there for just this purpose & has the years of education & training, not to mention experience with just this sort of thing. I'd hate to see anyone make a small & honest mistake & wind up drinking "Dr Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde juice." That's my 2 cents worth, hope you find it useful. Regards, GF.

Quick Reply