Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Good Hard lemonade

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #171
Pandaren
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey guys,

It's recently gotten really hot where I'm at (past 3 days 98+) and apparently won't be getting much lower than 91 for a while. I'm in an apartment with no a/c, so I've had to make due with temps as best I can, but it's not really cooling off much in the night either. Anyway, it's been going about 4 days now and has been fermenting between 74 and 85 for the majority of the time.

Are these high temps a big deal for something like lemonade? I used champagne yeast, not beer yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #172
Captive
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandaren View Post
Hey guys,

It's recently gotten really hot where I'm at (past 3 days 98+) and apparently won't be getting much lower than 91 for a while. I'm in an apartment with no a/c, so I've had to make due with temps as best I can, but it's not really cooling off much in the night either. Anyway, it's been going about 4 days now and has been fermenting between 74 and 85 for the majority of the time.

Are these high temps a big deal for something like lemonade? I used champagne yeast, not beer yeast.
Use your nose as a guide. If you get any bad smells coming off the batch, the yeast are likely stressed. In an emergency, you can cool your batch with ice bombs. Take a couple of clean water bottles, fill them 7/8 full of water, cap and freeze them. You can now float these in your batch without the ice diluting it. Float one and keep the other in the freezer. It'll help to wrap your batch in a blanket too to keep it the cool in and the heat out.

Cheers, Lon

www.skeeterpee.com

Visit Skeeter Pee on facebook and click the like button

Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #173
Pandaren
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks for the advise. No odd or bad smells off it yet, just the normal fermentation smells. I've been keeping an "eye" out for that SO2 smell of bad eggs, but haven't had any yet.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #174
arivera
Recipes 

is it carbonated? Im looking for a Mikes Hard Lemonade type clone. I am new to brewing but have enjoyed every step of the process thus far... My wife doesn't drink beer, so i am trying to find a simple mikes type recipe for her. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #175
CrimsonBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It can be. Its great stuff. For a more elaborated guide check out skeeterpee.com. Yes its about lemonade wine making.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #176
JimBrewer
Recipes 

I believe it doesn't begin carbonated, but that it can be added with the right apparatus. You may want to check the resources to see if there is any difference between the original post and the various sites listed afterwards.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #177
SnowBird
Recipes 

Can you give us your hard tea recipe?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #178
kansascooker123
Recipes 

I'm new at this, do you add the dme without doing anything to it first( right from the bag?)

Old 07-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #179
madwilliamflint
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 56

First: I'm VERY new at all of this. I have a lot of things fermenting (mostly meads/melomels/fruit wines, etc.) But they're all technically my first round. I have no successes under my belt as of yet.

I set this down on 6/1, directly into a 6.5 gallon carboy, with measurements adjusted to a little shy of 6 gallons (which came in handy as you'll see.)

We tried it 2 weeks ago and it was dry as... it was too dry.

So I added about 4 pounds of sugar (boiled it into a very dense simple syrup to prevent frothing over.) I'm very glad I had space in the carboy to add that syrup. Otherwise I'd have had to divide it across a couple 5ers.

I bottled 4 little grolsch bottles and brought them to work. It was a raving success.

It's VERY drinkable and smooth. The added sugar I found critical (as I didn't crash the fermentation.) I'm not sure what the ABV is, but I'm sitting here right now at my desk in work, having consumed less than 12oz, loopy.

This is a screaming success. I can't wait to get home and bottle it so I can start another batch. Because THIS batch is going to go...fast.

Thanks very much to OP for posting this.

If you're on the fence at all about doing this, get off. Do it. Next time I may add a couple vanilla beans. But frankly, I'm worried about how smooth that will make it. This is going to just get people drunk.

Okay, sure. Maybe I should have a target ABV and work with that. It's funny. I want to be able to enjoy more of this at a time. But I clearly can't.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #180
madwilliamflint
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I screwed up. I made my 5 gallon batch of this and it was a bit yeasty for my taste, so I ran some "super kleer" in to it. Now it tastes like a slightly carbonated medium-sweet white wine, with subtle hints of lemon.

And now I've got 3 cases of the stuff in grolsch bottles for a party in 2 weeks. Eh. We'll see.

It's really strong. I like it. But it's definitely not what I was shooting for. I'll probably start again as soon as I can get ahold of more DME.

Quick Reply