Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Ginger Wine to ginger beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
koomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Ginger Wine to ginger beer?

I've just started a ginger wine recipe and a rough back of the fag packet style calculation shows that the ABV should be about 10-11% Give or take. If I'm right though this won't be enough to kill the yeasties.

So I was thinking, if I bottle these in beer bottles, could I charge it with a little sugar and make and fizzy ginger wine? A super stong ginger beer. Possibly a Ginger Fear? I like the sound of the idea myself

*** EvilTOJ_ changed topic to <koomber> Bodka. Mae from 100% geniuine dylexic potatos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
twzdfirestrtr
Recipes 

sounds tasty :-P and it depends on the type of yeast you used it may kill the yeast... i liek to use a champagne yest for various types of wines and it usually has a kickass around 15 16 ?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
CoffeeSnob
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

MMm..... that may make a killer Dark and Stormy.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
oldmate
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Might need to age it out for a bit longer than usual to let it smooth out.

Secondary:

Bottled: JAOM, Amber Ale

Old 07-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
modF
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds interesting.. How did you do the ginger wine? I have a 35# box of candied ginger at home that I'm trying to decide what to do with.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #6
elambers
Recipes 

I make ginger wine all the time. It's fairly easy. I slice up about a thumb of fresh ginger and use 2.5 cups of sugar in 4L of filtered water. I pitch in a half a pack of EC1118 wine yeast and let it ferment for about 3weeks - 1 month. You can filter it or let it be. If you don't use an actual ginger beer plant (which can only tolerate up to 5% or so alcohol levels) and use the wine yeast instead, the alcohol content get ups to 10-14%, but you'll have to add some citric acid or lemon juice to taste. The ginger beer plant contains a bacteria that gives the ginger-beer a real bite and nice flavor without any additives, but the only draw back is the low alcohol tolerance. Here's a recipe using a plant [url]http://thegingerbeerplant.com/FAQs.html. I actually force carbonate my own (it's takes less trial and error) but I'm sure that charging it would work out fine. Have you tried it?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
jimbostarr
Recipes 

[QUOTE=elambers;3342929] If you don't use an actual ginger beer plant (which can only tolerate up to 5% or so alcohol levels) and use the wine yeast instead, the alcohol content get ups to 10-14%, QUOTE]

Wine yeast instead of the ginger? What happens after 5% abv to the ginger?

Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 AM   #8
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

[quote=jimbostarr;6066692]

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambers View Post
If you don't use an actual ginger beer plant (which can only tolerate up to 5% or so alcohol levels) and use the wine yeast instead, the alcohol content get ups to 10-14%, QUOTE]

Wine yeast instead of the ginger? What happens after 5% abv to the ginger?
You may be confusing "ginger" and "ginger beer plant". Ginger is the spicy root we all love. Ginger beer plant is a symbiotic mass of mold, yeast and lactobacillus bacteria that forms a jelly like substance. It is much like kefir grains as a fermenting agent or the consistency of mother of vinegar. These symbiotic colonies like kefir grains and ginger beer plant seem to always have a low ABV limit of about 3% - 6%.

I have never made ginger beer but ginger mead is very nice. I used 8 oz per gallon of fresh ginger root and it made a very nice mead. I have it at about 13.5% ABV but it took it just about a year to really mellow out and get super good.

To the OP:

Yea priming and carbing up the ginger wine may be good. I mix my still ginger mead with a bit of carbonated water for a nice kick. But I think the mead does best at a gravity of around 1.01 or higher. So give it a taste before priming and you may find you need to back sweeten to just over the perfect taste, then let it carb up and pasteurize to stop feentation.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Old 04-19-2014, 04:33 AM   #9
jimbostarr
Recipes 

Great advice, thanks!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Home Brew mobile app

Old 08-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
Dominic1920
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I made this ginger wine recipe, and it turned out great, only thing I did different was use champagne yeast which gave it a nice fizz.

Quick Reply