New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > General introduction & Quick question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #1
Talbotway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default General introduction & Quick question

So first I wan t to introduce myself, I'm a44 y/old who tried my hand at beer brewing about 12years ago with3 unsuccessful batches which was enough discouragement to quit and just buy more beer,

This last Christmas my sister and I were drinking around a campfire and ran out of wine at about 2am which led to the discussion of "how hard could it be to brew our own wine". Well. I have read every post in this post and I became so motivated again that I have made a large purchase or equipment and supplies ,,

Now due to the Midwest heavy snow fall. My yeast has arrived but the large shipment of e quip tent has not. I am growing impatient and wanting to at least start the batch (boil the sugar, add the concentrate and rest 12 hours,, maybe pitch the yeast tomorrow ) but my sterilization tablets have not arrived yet. My question is should I continue to wait for that or am I ok to start the batch with a dishwasher clean pot?

I appreciate all the comments both good and bad as they all answer questions,, I just haven't read any on the sterilization of the first pot as of yet.

Thanks,,, Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
tblanlinship281
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbotway View Post
So first I wan t to introduce myself, I'm a44 y/old who tried my hand at beer brewing about 12years ago with3 unsuccessful batches which was enough discouragement to quit and just buy more beer,

This last Christmas my sister and I were drinking around a campfire and ran out of wine at about 2am which led to the discussion of "how hard could it be to brew our own wine". Well. I have read every post in this post and I became so motivated again that I have made a large purchase or equipment and supplies ,,

Now due to the Midwest heavy snow fall. My yeast has arrived but the large shipment of e quip tent has not. I am growing impatient and wanting to at least start the batch (boil the sugar, add the concentrate and rest 12 hours,, maybe pitch the yeast tomorrow ) but my sterilization tablets have not arrived yet. My question is should I continue to wait for that or am I ok to start the batch with a dishwasher clean pot?

I appreciate all the comments both good and bad as they all answer questions,, I just haven't read any on the sterilization of the first pot as of yet.

Thanks,,, Glenn
You should be alright with a dishwasher clean pot. Just make sure all of your equipment you use is sanitized. I've only used the sanitizing tablets once since brewing beer and making wine and the rest of the time I just washed my equipment in the diahwasher or used a little bit of bleach and water to sanitize. Just rinse equipment well if using the bleach. I haven't had a bad batch yet and have made around fifteen batches.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Talbotway
Recipes 

Cool. Thank you

Old 01-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Talbotway
Recipes 

So my fermentation is very active, my Rubbermaid anti spill box is wrapped in a heating blanket to help temp stay up in my basement.. This morning my temp was at 90*, still very active but I've read the temp should shoot for 75-77*.....what effect will a higher temp have on my final product? It's only been 24 hours so is this a serious mistake that can not be fixed or am I still good?

Quick Reply