Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Gegassing Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
stearno411
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gegassing Question

Full disclaimer. New to wine making, plus I am using a kit. I am stirring the wine to degas and have been at it for 4 days. It does not seem to be getting better. This kit said 10 minutes to 3 days. I understand from reading others post the importance of degassing, so should I continue stirring or move on? Gravity was 0.994. Thanks for the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearno411 View Post
Full disclaimer. New to wine making, plus I am using a kit. I am stirring the wine to degas and have been at it for 4 days. It does not seem to be getting better. This kit said 10 minutes to 3 days. I understand from reading others post the importance of degassing, so should I continue stirring or move on? Gravity was 0.994. Thanks for the help!
It must be degassed to move to next phase without issues. This can take days to longer than a week if hand stirring. Make sure the wine itself it at least 70F otherwise CO2 will not come out of solution. If you have a drill, you can invest in a degassing device. Or rack entire contents of carboy to another carboy but kink the racking tube, just make sure wine at 70. Of course, bulk aging of nine months or longer has always naturally degassed my wines.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
stearno411
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc

It must be degassed to move to next phase without issues. This can take days to longer than a week if hand stirring. Make sure the wine itself it at least 70F otherwise CO2 will not come out of solution. If you have a drill, you can invest in a degassing device. Or rack entire contents of carboy to another carboy but kink the racking tube, just make sure wine at 70. Of course, bulk aging of nine months or longer has always naturally degassed my wines.
Thank you.

Quick Reply