Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Full Hard Lemonade recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #31
CBelli
Beer Lover
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight View Post

Bottling day:

Take hydrometer reading. You should be right around .998 – 1.002 specific gravity.

In a large sauce pan, add 8 cups cane sugar (or to taste), 2 cans Lemonade concentrate, and 3 cups water and, stirring continuously, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and disolve 3.5 tsp potassium sorbate.
8 cups of sugar? will this not make the bottles explode !!!
When I bottle beer 3/4 of a cup is enough.

I would worry that you will get secondary fermentation?

how about using non fermentable sugar?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #32
bknifefight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

The 8 cups of sugar are not to prime the bottles, it's to back sweeten the lemonade. Read the ENTIRE bottling day instructions.

Quote:
Bottling day:

Take hydrometer reading. You should be right around .998 – 1.002 specific gravity.

In a large sauce pan, add 8 cups cane sugar (or to taste), 2 cans Lemonade concentrate, and 3 cups water and, stirring continuously, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and disolve 3.5 tsp potassium sorbate. Add lemon/sugar/sorbate solution to a 7 gal bottling bucket. Rack fermented lemonade from carboy into bottling bucket with the sorbate solution, stirring thoroughly.

You can bottle in beer or wine bottles, or you can keg. Even with the sorbate, you will probably get a little bit of carbonation as it sits, but it is usually not enough to pop a cork. I usually keg, and force carbonate.

It is ready to drink on bottling day.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #33
dmbshen41
Recipes 

does the potassium sorbate immedietly stop fermentation? or does that take time? should you let the mixture sit a couple days in bottling bucket before bottling just to make sure you dont get bottle bombs?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #34
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbshen41 View Post
does the potassium sorbate immedietly stop fermentation? or does that take time? should you let the mixture sit a couple days in bottling bucket before bottling just to make sure you dont get bottle bombs?
After sorbating and sweetening you are always suppose to wait a week or two to make sure fermentation doesn't kick back up.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #35
Nike_Eayrs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 24

So having stopped fermentation, will the bottles carb up? I've only ever brewed beer, so this is kind of new to me. The lady would totally dig this! Cheers.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #36
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Eayrs View Post
So having stopped fermentation, will the bottles carb up? I've only ever brewed beer, so this is kind of new to me. The lady would totally dig this! Cheers.
No, you will probably have a slightly bubbly mouth feel from the co2 still in solution but it won't be carbonated like beer unless you force carb it.

Drank too much?...Is that a thing?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
jbushee
Recipes 

Default Yeasty tasting

Quote:
This is a really easy and good recipe for hard lemonade. It is a lot stronger than Mike's.

Ingredients (makes 6-7 gallons):

- 12 cans preservative-free Lemonade concentrate (I use Nature's best
brand from Aldi's cause it is cheap, Minute Maid is another option)
- 1 lb Extra light or Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
- 2.5 lbs corn sugar
- Yeast nutrient
- Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast (THIS YEAST IS VERY IMPORTANT, OTHER CHAMPAGNE YEASTS HAVE A HARD TIME WITH THE ACIDITY OF THE LEMONADE, BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE YEAST PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AS WELL)
- Potassium Sorbate
- Appx 8 cups regular cane sugar

Rehydrate yeast:

Rehydrate yeast by combining 1 cup warm water with 1 tbsp of lemonade concentrate and just a couple yeast nutrient pellets with Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast, Allow to sit for at least a half hour. You should see vigorous action in the yeast when ready.

Brewing the wort:

In a 2.5+ gal brew pot, combine 1 lb Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract (DME) with 3 lbs corn sugar to appx 2 gal boiling water. This will give you appx 9% abv when finished. To increase alcohol, increase sugar and/or DME, use less sugar to lower ABV). Stir until completely disolved Remove from heat, and 7 tsp yeast nutrient.

Combine wort in large plastic fermentor bucket with 10 cans lemonade concentrate, and enough cold water to fill bucket to bring total volume to 6 gal. Make sure temp is between 65 - 75 degrees, and take initial hydrometer reading. Pitch in your yeast starter. Put lid and airlock on fermentor and allow to ferment at room temp.

Fermentation:

You should see steady fermentation within 2 -3 days, that will last 1-2 weeks. Allow to ferment completely out before attempting to bottle.

Bottling day:

In a large sauce pan, add 8 cups cane sugar (or to taste), 2 cans Lemonade concentrate, and 3 cups water and, stirring continuously, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and disolve 3.5 tsp potassium sorbate. Add lemon/sugar/sorbate solution to a 7 gal bottling bucket. Rack fermented lemonade from carboy into bottling bucket with the sorbate solution, stirring thoroughly.

You can bottle in beer or wine bottles, or you can keg. Even with the sorbate, you will probably get a little bit of carbonation as it sits, but it is usually not enough to pop a cork. I usually keg, and force carbonate.

It is ready to drink on bottling day.
I'm two weeks into this recipe. Fermentation took about a week, then I sweetened and it's been sitting and clearing for another week. Tastes a bit yeasty. Is it just too soon, or did I mess it up somehow?

Only deviation from the recipe was I replaced the 2.5 lb corn sugar with 2 lb cane sugar.

Thoughts?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #38
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have never had it with a yeasty character, but then again I give everything AT LEAST 3 weeks in the primary. Give it time, it is still very young at two weeks.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:55 AM   #39
nappyvalley
Recipes 

I just started a batch of hard leomonade I used more sugar and distillers yeast. The fernentation started immediately after putting in the yeast.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #40
smartin73
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone have an OG for this? My hydrometer broke and wasn't able to record it. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply