Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Full Hard Lemonade recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #121
gt_andy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Are you to use frozen concentrate cans? Or the canned drink that comes in 12 packs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #122
thejudge
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Frozen concentrate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bknifefight
This is a really easy and good recipe for hard lemonade. It is a lot stronger than Mike's.

Ingredients (makes 6-7 gallons):

- 12 cans preservative-free Lemonade concentrate (I use Nature's best
brand from Aldi's cause it is cheap, Minute Maid is another option)
- 1 lb Extra light or Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
- 2.5 lbs corn sugar
- Yeast nutrient
- Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast (THIS YEAST IS VERY IMPORTANT, OTHER CHAMPAGNE YEASTS HAVE A HARD TIME WITH THE ACIDITY OF THE LEMONADE, BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE YEAST PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AS WELL)
- Potassium Sorbate
- Appx 8 cups regular cane sugar

Rehydrate yeast:

Rehydrate yeast by combining 1 cup warm water with 1 tbsp of lemonade concentrate and just a couple yeast nutrient pellets with Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast, Allow to sit for at least a half hour. You should see vigorous action in the yeast when ready.

Brewing the wort:

In a 2.5+ gal brew pot, combine 1 lb Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract (DME) with 3 lbs corn sugar to appx 2 gal boiling water. This will give you appx 9% abv when finished. To increase alcohol, increase sugar and/or DME, use less sugar to lower ABV). Stir until completely disolved Remove from heat, and 7 tsp yeast nutrient.

Combine wort in large plastic fermentor bucket with 10 cans lemonade concentrate, and enough cold water to fill bucket to bring total volume to 6 gal. Make sure temp is between 65 - 75 degrees, and take initial hydrometer reading. Pitch in your yeast starter. Put lid and airlock on fermentor and allow to ferment at room temp.

Fermentation:

You should see steady fermentation within 2 -3 days, that will last 1-2 weeks. Allow to ferment completely out before attempting to bottle.

Bottling day:

Take hydrometer reading. You should be right around .998 – 1.002 specific gravity.

In a large sauce pan, add 8 cups cane sugar (or to taste), 2 cans Lemonade concentrate, and 3 cups water and, stirring continuously, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, and disolve 3.5 tsp potassium sorbate. Add lemon/sugar/sorbate solution to a 7 gal bottling bucket. Rack fermented lemonade from carboy into bottling bucket with the sorbate solution, stirring thoroughly.

You can bottle in beer or wine bottles, or you can keg. Even with the sorbate, you will probably get a little bit of carbonation as it sits, but it is usually not enough to pop a cork. I usually keg, and force carbonate.

It is ready to drink on bottling day.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 PM   #123
chrisjw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_andy View Post
Ok I have just made this exact brew but used minute maid lemonaid. My gravity at 85 degrees is 1.031.

Doesn't that seem a bit low?
I would not think that there would be that much difference in the sugar content among various frozen concentrates. Are you sure about how much sugar and malt you added? Did you dissolve the sugar and malt in hot water before measuring the SG?

Other than that I would check that your hydrometer is working correctly? You can test it with distilled water.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #124
gt_andy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

I used the cans. Each can is 3% juice.

I used the wrong stuff. I assume I can just add 10 frozen cans and it should still work out. It will work out just more volume?

Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #125
chrisjw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_andy View Post
I used the cans. Each can is 3% juice.

I used the wrong stuff. I assume I can just add 10 frozen cans and it should still work out. It will work out just more volume?
Oops. I am assuming that your lemon drink does not have much preservative, and you did not complete fermentation, and did not add sorbate already. If not, it should be ok to proceed but ....

Your lemon drink only contained 3% juice and did it have sugar?

If you add the frozen concentrate at this point (with no other changes) you will end up with 120 oz. more than the recipe calls for. It may end up being a bit lower ABV and possibly less lemon flavor.

There are lots of ways to go at this point to get close to the original recipe. It may depend on the size of your fermenters. For example, you can remove 120 oz, and add the concentrate and a bit more sugar and a bit more malt OR you can add the concentrate and a bit more sugar and malt and nutrient to make 6+ gallons. I like the latter option. Do the math to increase ingredients for 6+ gallons, and use your hydrometer to get to the OG that you want. You'll be fine.

Reason: wording

Old 07-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #126
Jacinthebox
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I bottled mine this morning...I used 5 cups of sugar...tasted awesome...thanks for the recipe
Carb up for a few days, and then a hot water bath

Brathair Brewing Tap #1: Dos AmigoTap #2: Amarillo Pale Ale Tap #3: Amarillo Pale Ale (dry hopped with Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe)Tap #4: Cascadian Red AleIn the Bucket: Dos Amigo
In the Carboy: Dos Amigo (lagering in the fridge), Big Spruce's American Wheat comp brew
Kegged and Parked 3 Scots & a Frenchman
On Deck Garrison Comp Robust Porter
BottledBrewnoser beer exchange Cream Stout

Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #127
Countryboy73
Recipes 

Quick ?, which concentrate is better, with or with out the pulp?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #128
Jacinthebox
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I used pulp...I don't think it matters...the pulp floated to the top anyway

Brathair Brewing Tap #1: Dos AmigoTap #2: Amarillo Pale Ale Tap #3: Amarillo Pale Ale (dry hopped with Citra/Amarillo/Simcoe)Tap #4: Cascadian Red AleIn the Bucket: Dos Amigo
In the Carboy: Dos Amigo (lagering in the fridge), Big Spruce's American Wheat comp brew
Kegged and Parked 3 Scots & a Frenchman
On Deck Garrison Comp Robust Porter
BottledBrewnoser beer exchange Cream Stout

Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #129
TexasWine
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy73 View Post
Quick ?, which concentrate is better, with or with out the pulp?
Mine had pulp. Shouldn't matter though. My pulp just floated around on top during fermentation.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #130
nianticcardplayer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Read the entire thread has anyone done a raspberry or strawberry lemonade using the concentrates and what ratios have you used ?

Ron
Niantic Brewing
Est. 2009
Small Cap Brewing.....
Fermentor#1:Empty Waiting for Plinian Legacy..
Fermentor#2:Empty
Waiting In Line:AHS Recipes for Fat Tire, and Goose Island Kolsch
Drinking: HOMEBREW!!!!!! LOL

Quick Reply