Fruit Wine Idea Yes or No?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjacquette81

Reaction score
So I'm thinking get a bunch if apples press them for the pure juice and use that my base instead of water. Use a blend if fruit Mango, Kiwi, Strawberry ( considering swapping strawberries for raspberries). Attempt a dry ferment between 12% - 14% then back sweeten to taste!

I'm ready to put together my first batch and just reading has given me ideas and I'm excited!!! Please give feedback I hope to start this weekend.

If you have a good source for apples go ahead with the press, but for your first batch I'd start with a decent apple juice (no pressing). Save your time for doing other stuff and eliminates some of the variables. I like to backsweeten some fruit juice (whatever flavor you want to be dominant).

I have a recipe posted for wine that uses apple juice. You could do something like that, adding fruit to start. If it was my first batch, I'd probably just buy a Welch's juice in the flavor I was thinking of (the apple/raspberry) and follow a recipe for apple wine or Welch's wine.

Pressing apples isn't too hard, but you have to have the right kind of apples. Cider apples are good, table apples are not.

@Yopper if I use juice would I just add the mango and kiwi inside the primary with it? What would you suggest so that my mango and kiwi flavors blend well with the apple raspberry juice? What do you thin s good ratio is? Is it Okay to just continue to taste it until the flavor us what I like? Thanks

@Yopper if I use juice would I just add the mango and kiwi inside the primary with it? What would you suggest so that my mango and kiwi flavors blend well with the apple raspberry juice? What do you thin s good ratio is? Is it Okay to just continue to taste it until the flavor us what I like? Thanks

I'm sorry, but I have no idea. I've never used kiwi or mango in any wine.

I would add the mango/kiwi juice after fermentation/when the wine is stabilised to bring out the flavour you want. Everything tastes different after fermentation (think grapes and champagne).

Yep, that would be the best way to get the flavour you're looking for. You will need to stabilise before you add the mango/kiwi juice otherwise it will just ferment out.

oldmate said:
Yep, that would be the best way to get the flavour you're looking for. You will need to stabilise before you add the mango/kiwi juice otherwise it will just ferment out.

So pretty much make some Apfelwein, stabilize and backsweeten with the juices

You can, just add more sugar/apple juice concentrate. It will take longer to age out if you make it a higher ABV.

Back