Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fruit Press!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
kurtism
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

while these complete set-ups are awesome, its just not in my budget. I have plans drawn up to turn parts I have at home into a press...just need the time to actually build it now...

congrats on the purchase and let us know your yield increase

Too many brews...too few bottles!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #12
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalou View Post
As long as you give it a good rinse when you are done, it should last you. I've made wine with a similar press and the wine turned out great!
Thanks, my next batch of wine is going to be prickly pear, as soon as the rest of the fruit is ready. This will make it a whole lot easier, as the seeds in this fruit nearly tore up my juicer last year!!! -A

Old 10-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #13
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

MzAnnie---have you ever used a steam juicer for your prickly pears? Awesome!!

FWIW, I noticed the price point on the tabletop press was $40 more than what I paid for the 3.2gal hydraulic press...very impressed with the price and the quality (it arrived yesterday). http://store.homebrewheaven.com/grape-crushers-fruit-presses--oak-barrels-c23.aspx Presses start at under $90. Well worth the investment, and for those who are mechanically inclined if you can make you own that is AWESOME, I wish I was a builder, but I am not. Big Sigh.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #14
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
MzAnnie---have you ever used a steam juicer for your prickly pears? Awesome!!

FWIW, I noticed the price point on the tabletop press was $40 more than what I paid for the 3.2gal hydraulic press...very impressed with the price and the quality (it arrived yesterday). http://store.homebrewheaven.com/grape-crushers-fruit-presses--oak-barrels-c23.aspx Presses start at under $90. Well worth the investment, and for those who are mechanically inclined if you can make you own that is AWESOME, I wish I was a builder, but I am not. Big Sigh.
I haven't a clue what a steam juicer is. What I do know, is that I didn't do enough research, when I made my first batch of prickly pear wine, and I had a BUTT-LOAD of those nasty, miniscule prickers in my hands, because I only blanched the fruit, thinking that would soften them up. I was so mad, that I burnt the rest of the batch, over an open flame, (which killed the prickers)then (still mad), threw them in my juicer. You should have heard the racket of those seeds bouncing around. This year, I macgyvered a roasting cage that I can use on a bonfire, to burn the spines off, then I was going to cut them in half, scoop out the pulp, I put it directly into the primary. Then this post came up about the presses. If you can give me any insight, it would be appreciated. I really love this wine, but I am also really paranoid about those nasty little prickers getting into my wine, or me! I just checked out the steam juicers on ebay. You are right, they are awesome. I just wonder how I can get one of those in the house without the husband noticing???

Old 10-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts

MzAnnie...also check Amazon, you can usually catch one on sale. If you do get one, go for stainless steel.
Last time I processed the fruit I used a blow torch, it was so quick. Then I sliced the top and bottom off, one vertical slice and then I peeled the skin right off. The roasting basket you have will work...I am imagining a grill basket for fish or vegetables.

I just wish my cacti were larger and fruiting, they will get there.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 10-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saramc View Post
MzAnnie...also check Amazon, you can usually catch one on sale. If you do get one, go for stainless steel.
Last time I processed the fruit I used a blow torch, it was so quick. Then I sliced the top and bottom off, one vertical slice and then I peeled the skin right off. The roasting basket you have will work...I am imagining a grill basket for fish or vegetables.

I just wish my cacti were larger and fruiting, they will get there.
I love the idea of using a blowtorch. I'll have to get one. I was looking at the steamers. I might have to wait a little on that. Trying to save a little money so I can get my wine cellar built :P This wine venture was supposedly a 'cheap' way to use our extra produce. Now I find myself explaining to husband, why I need another room added on to the house! , and why there are 9-5 gallon buckets in the laundry room at all times. Of course, it is all good @ 6:00 pm when we are enjoying a glass!!! Thanks for the tips!!! I WILL find a way to get my new steamer!!!

Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
WinePilot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just made my own wine press.

On Deck: La Crescent/Edelweiss Blend
Primary: Fontenac
Secondary: Merlot
Bottled: Concord

MzAnnie Likes This 
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 AM   #18
johnnync
WPW Contractor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinePilot
That's what its all about, making due with what you have. Very good.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 126

Here is a comparison photo I took today of non pressed berry wine and pressed berry wine. The non pressed has a 30 day head start so it has cleared and settled more. The mon pressed was left in a mesh paint strainer bag and squeezed for dear life.

It is difficult to see, but the pressed wine appears to be much richer.

image-4209656714.jpg

Old 10-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #20
MzAnnie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinePilot View Post

Dude, as a carpenter and the daughter of the original MacGyver, you ARE my hero!!!

Quick Reply