Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fruit / Grape Press ????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fruit / Grape Press ????

I am thinking of starting to make wine. I have a question about presses. Has anyone ever used a sausage stuffer to crush grapes ?? I saw one that looks like a small stuffer, on a wine supply site. The reason I ask is I have a 30# upright stainless sausage stuffer. In leu of buying or borrowing one, I thought this might be a good alternative. Let me know what you think.

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4381 Times on 3188 Posts
Likes Given: 854

I can't picture it. You think it would crush the grapes without clogging up with the skins, or without crushing the seeds?

I usually crush and ferment for about 5-7 days, then press. Now, I don't have a crusher OR a press, so it's by hand. I've love to find an easier way to do it, so please let me know how this works out!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #3
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds like some sort of screw press, maybe with an auger that pushes the fruit to a screen so only juice comes through. In the wine industry they are regarded as very harsh pressing, only suited to cheap high volume wines.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Bombo80
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

After reading your responses, I think I confused myself. Being a n00b to wine making, I think I figured out the crush vs. press thing.
Here is what I found. The picture isn't real good, but I would guess that the top press plate has many small holes in it to let the juice and air escape during the pressing process. Or, it has a false bottom like in the lauter tun I use for making beer.

press.jpg  

On Deck - Crabapple Wine

Secondary - Pomegranate Wine, Red Table Wine, Wild Fox Grape Wine, Blueberry Wine, Surly Furious clone

Bulk Aging - Brewtopia Barleywine, Sugar Beet Wine

Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
gregbathurst
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That is a version of basket press. I think the inner container is a mesh basket, the liquid would collect in the space between inner and outer container and be drawn off from the tap. You can use them for pressing fresh fruit but they are better used as yooper says, after fermentation.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombo80 View Post
After reading your responses, I think I confused myself. Being a n00b to wine making, I think I figured out the crush vs. press thing.
Here is what I found. The picture isn't real good, but I would guess that the top press plate has many small holes in it to let the juice and air escape during the pressing process. Or, it has a false bottom like in the lauter tun I use for making beer.
Your photo looks like a newer version of an apple press I have. Mine's mostly cast iron with a sheet metal shroud around the "basket", which is perforated. An apple press requires much more pressure than a grape press. I suppose you could use it as a grape press but you'd likely crush the seeds which is what you want to avoid.

Quick Reply