Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Freezing Fruit Link

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2005, 01:50 PM   #1
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Freezing Fruit Link

I am preparing to brew another batch of mead and was concerned about freezing fruit for future use.

I did a search and came up with this helpful link:

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/yf/foods/fn182w.htm

Basically some of the same info:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FY720

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Good stuff! I think freezing actually improves the quality of my blackberry ciders, better juice extraction after rupturing the cell walls.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Good stuff! I think freezing actually improves the quality of my blackberry ciders, better juice extraction after rupturing the cell walls.
I agree. If you want frozen soft berries to retain the same texture and shape as fresh berries i say don't bother. If you want to save the FLAVOUR for brewing, cooking or preserves then freezing is THE best way of 'extending the seasonality' of fruits and utilizing your hard picked/bought gains a few months later - Just remember to label them with dates and use them as quickly as you can!

Old 12-05-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Francis Eric
Recipes 

Default ascorbic acid (vitamin C)

I was just reading that alittle and have to add when using sufites use if on hand ascorbic acid in congunction with. It helps to preservatives or should I say hightens them which is good for me,because over 1000 capsuls in the next room I have a link, but as of right now I don't quite understand yet. vitamin c info near bottom of page if you go back and go to story index a bunch more other info.

http://www.winemakermag.com/feature/21.html

Last edited by Francis Eric; 12-05-2005 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply