Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Frak siphoning!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Nomadic_Joel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Frak siphoning!

NEVER doing that again. Every post I ever read said "just fill your hose and racking cane full of sanitizer and water" so easy, boom done.

The last two batches I have done, I tried short hoses, long hoses. I have no idea what I was/am doing wrong. I have stolen gas so many times....why cant I get a siphon going!!

Im buying an auto siphon.

Anyone else have gadgets to help the siphon go easier?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Autosiphon is the easiest bet for racking any liguid...no muss, no fuss, and no frustration.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Even my auto-siphon is hit or miss sometimes, but I have found that if I can't get a good siphon going I can just use the auto-siphon like a pump. It doesn't take that many strokes to move a batch from one container to another. I just use slow steady strokes so as not to introduce too much air.

Does anyone make a squeeze-bulb type siphon pump, like the kind used for kerosene heaters, etc?

Old 10-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcobbs View Post
Even my auto-siphon is hit or miss sometimes, but I have found that if I can't get a good siphon going I can just use the auto-siphon like a pump. It doesn't take that many strokes to move a batch from one container to another. I just use slow steady strokes so as not to introduce too much air.

Does anyone make a squeeze-bulb type siphon pump, like the kind used for kerosene heaters, etc?
I've found that people who are having issue with their A/S are usually using too large a size of plastic tubing on the end....try using a plastic hose clamp like this, over the hose somewhere along the length before the bend.

Other people have found that the gasket on the bottom end of the racking tube (that fits inside the big tube) may be bad, or dried, some have added some keglube/foodgrade silicone grease around it to make a better seal, others just put some water on top of the gasket (like with a turkey baster) inside the tube, and that makes for an air tight seal.

Hit or miss Autosiphons are hit or miss usually because of a bad seal in one of the two afore mentioned spots.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Nomadic_Joel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys, confirmed my thoughts about getting an autosiphon!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks Revvy--I've kinda suspected I was getting some air where the hose connects to the autosiphon. I think my LHBS has some of those clamps--I'll pick up a couple and see if that helps.

Quick Reply