Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fortifying and Filtering Port Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #11
summersolstice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
I think you missed the_bird's point. Port is fortified BEFORE fermentation stops to halt further fermentation and provide residual sweetness without the addition of additional sugar. To fortify your wine AFTER fermentation stops may be detrimental, as you'll be adding quite a bit of alcohol without the benefit of sweetness to balance it. At this point, you need to taste the wine and decide for yourself whether it will benefit from a brandy addition.
Yuri, the fortification of this particular wine kit is an extremely common tweak. The directions state that the kit requires sterile filtering to prevent renewed fermentation in the bottle. Since virtually nobody has the capability to sterile filter, they simply choose to boost the alcohol level. Untouched, it ferments out to about 16% and the addition of Everclear (some like to use brandy) will boost it a little further and should help prevent renewed fermentation.

Additionally, this kit is very sweet as it is and therefore a reduction in sweetness is not harmful and, in fact, welcomed by a lot of folks.

Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend fortifying after the fact but, as I said, this is very, very common in this specific wine kit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Tusch
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah, you need to decide where you are and where you want to be. Port is generally around 20% abv and quite sweet, in the dessert wine range. So what abv are you at now? How sweet is it now? How strong do you want it and how sweet do you want it to be. Also, the brandy is added so early in a port's life that is not only halts fermentation to leave residual sweetness, but it also must age for a very long time to mellow and blend with the wine. So taking a shot of brandy with it would be quite different

Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #13
Texron
Recipes 

I have the Wine Expert Orange Chocolate Kit and its been going for about 45 days. I racked it the first time last night. I poured a little off for a "quality control" check and it blew me away how good it tasted. I really had to resist pouring some more off-its that good. I can tell already there will be another of these in the works next year.

I want to bulk age it as Solstice recommends and its probably a good idea. Thats probably the only way there will be any left at Christmas and my original idea was to have this for Christmas presents.

Last edited by Texron; 03-17-2009 at 06:22 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
summersolstice
Recipes 

Tex, this stuff is highly addictive and once you begin drinking it, it does indeed disappear quickly. Be careful since there's a temptation to drink it like conventional wine. If you do, you'll regret it the next morning. If you can get your hands on some 375ml bottles, that's one way to avoid overindulging. BTW, these make great Christmas gifts.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #15
Texron
Recipes 

Well Solstice-if I become addicted to the stuff, and already I'm thinking I will, it will be on your concience!!!! After reading some of your comments about this wine in a thread before I decided to give it a try.

I still can't believe how tasty it is long before its even ready to bottle. I'm wondering now if I should snag a Rasberry Chocolate kit as well. I am torn between whether to fortify my kit or not. Is there a noticeable reduction in the "Sweetness" of the taste when its cut with the Everclear.

Yes, I'm thinking they should make a very special Christmas Present.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 PM   #16
summersolstice
Recipes 

I wouldn't say there's a noticeable reduction in sweetness but the Everclear just seems to round it out more. In other words, it offsets the sweetness rather than reduce it.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
Texron
Recipes 

So you would recommend a full pint of Everclear for a three gallon batch? And I guess you add it whenever you start to bulk age it?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #18
summersolstice
Recipes 

I added a pint to mine at bulk aging. I actually called the manufacturer and was told that a pint "would be perfect".

Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #19
Texron
Recipes 

Can't argue with perfect.

The owner of my wine supply shop told me the style of port should have a higher ABV but is limited to restrictive Canadian laws. He also said he was told they by law can not give you advice in the instructions on high to do this tweak because it would fortify the wine beyond the legal limit for alcohol content.

Please don't tell the Cnadian government what I am gonna to to their kit!

Quick Reply