First wine just started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

distrex

Reaction score
Hey everyone i just put my very first wine into the primary :ban: , just waiting to start adding yeast now. I followed yooper chicks recipe from welches grape juice, but instead of just straight grape juice i used white peach concentrate. I can't wait to have my first ever homemade wine. I hope it's half as good as my first beer.

peach wine - me too.
I want to find a way (w'out sulfites) to stop the fermantation to keep some of the sweetness - picture a Sauterne

I just finished my welches white grape peach and it's the best wine i've made yet. Other than the extreamly fast ferment/clearing time (10 days to ferment, two weeks to totally clear) It produces a pretty good abv of about 7.5%. You could bump this up with dextrose, but it would take longer to age. (this is my next project.) There must be some unfermentables in the concentrate, because it fermented dry, but retained a lot of the flavor. The peach adds a lot of body that my other country wines lacked. All in all, I will be making a LOT of this in the very near future. The best part is if you're tastes aren't too particular, you could drink this right out of the carboy once it's cleared and its still a great drink. I think the body of this wine is so good, i'll blend it with some wines that are weak in body.

let us know how yours turns out!
mike

Good to know that you had good luck with it. My SWMBO loves wine, but doesn't like beer to much. She has been kinda doubtful that i could make a good wine out of some concentrate and sugar but i hope to prove her wrong

Well i wouldn't enter this kind into a competition or anything. Think of this as more along the lines of a wine cooler....with over 7% abv ;) Something tasty to sip on while making something more traditional perhaps. My girlfriend isn't into wine OR beer, but likes mixed drinks. The sweetness and the peach in this wine makes her think of a fuzzy navel or peachtree shnapps.

mike

Would adding a bit more sugar bump up the alcohol some or would that kinda ruine that flavor?

I don't know, but I'm going to try it and see. I would assume it would need at least 6 months of ageing to make it mellow out. That means it would need to have about 11 to 12% to preserve that long. I'll do a batch and let you know in half a year ;)

mike

Back