Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
MA-Honey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First wine

I started making my first wine on January 12. It is a kit wine. My numbers for sg have been significantly different than what the kit says so I want to make sure I didn't mess it up. According to the kit, the initial sg should be 1.048-1.052, 1.010 after primary fermentation and .996 at stabilizing. My numbers were 1.042, .994 and I haven't stabilized. I have used hydrometers before and I know I am reading it right but is there something that I should do or should have done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4260 Times on 3103 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA-Honey View Post
I started making my first wine on January 12. It is a kit wine. My numbers for sg have been significantly different than what the kit says so I want to make sure I didn't mess it up. According to the kit, the initial sg should be 1.048-1.052, 1.010 after primary fermentation and .996 at stabilizing. My numbers were 1.042, .994 and I haven't stabilized. I have used hydrometers before and I know I am reading it right but is there something that I should do or should have done?
There isn't much difference between .994 and .996, so it sounds exactly right. It might go down a tiny bit more, but it sounds like it's just about done.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
MA-Honey
Recipes 

I read somewhere that if this happens that you should stir it every couple days. Also I have another 5 days till I should be stabilizing it. Do I stir it or just let it be?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA-Honey View Post
I read somewhere that if this happens that you should stir it every couple days. Also I have another 5 days till I should be stabilizing it. Do I stir it or just let it be?
Do NOT stir! Whatever you do, don't agitate, stir, mix, or otherwise oxygenate the wine.

It's done. It might drop a couple more points, but it's pretty much done. All stirring will do is ruin a perfectly good wine.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Do NOT stir! Whatever you do, don't agitate, stir, mix, or otherwise oxygenate the wine.

It's done. It might drop a couple more points, but it's pretty much done. All stirring will do is ruin a perfectly good wine.
What about degassing yooper. You have to agitate it to degass the wine. I am also new and on my first wine kit.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ridenour...do you plan to age this in carboy for a bit? If so, say 90 days or more, 6 months even better, 9 months great and you will find that time is a natural degasser. I age everything now for at least nine months and rarely have an issue with degassing.
But a kit will benefit from some extended kit in carboy. What kind of kit are you making?

Sara

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenour64 View Post
What about degassing yooper. You have to agitate it to degass the wine. I am also new and on my first wine kit.
Degassing is done in a carboy, and you add campden to it to keep oxygen from binding with it.

I've only degassed wine kits, for the most part, and that's because they are rushed to the bottle.

For "real" wine, I've actually only had ONE that needed degassing in all the years I've been doing this. I have no idea why that one batch held on to the gas for so long, but that's the only one in over 200+ batches of wine.

I'm not a degassing fan, but when done as part of the kit in the directions when k-meta is added, no harm will come to it.

Otherwise mucking about in the wine, stirring or shaking, or not topping up appropriately is a bad idea and in almost all cases a "fix" like that for a wine that is perfectly fine will compromise the wine.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

According to my wine kit, degassing is part of the 3rd stage.

1st stage, make it, let it ferment for necessary time, let mine go 8 days
2nd stage, rack it to a new carboy, let it sit for 10 days
3rd stage, add packets 3 and 4, and then it says "Winexpert kits require that you stir the sediment back into suspension. etc"

this is the stage where mine says to de-gas it and mix the sediment back in, so you have to stir it vigorously

Not sure about your kit, but that is how mine works.

After it is fully degassed is when you add the last packet

Old 01-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
MA-Honey
Recipes 

Ok. Thanks for the help yooper and everyone else.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #10
Ridenour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I am making an island mist peach Chardonnay. But thanks Sara and yooper that helps a lot. I also have a 1 gallon batch of edworts apfelwein I just started 2 days ago. I'm so excited to try them both. Waiting sucks but it will be worth it.

Quick Reply