Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First Wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 AM   #21
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with jcobbs. I have other books, but hers is the one I go to first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #22
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider87 View Post
No no no I think you missed my point, I wasn't planning on drinking it at that point (at the point I decided to put it into the non-stick pot). I just wanted to see what happened if I let it sit for a while. It was a step from being down the drain. I wouldn't store anything I was fermenting in metal too many quirks with metal. lol
What a relief! I was kinda worried that you were gonna drink that stuff- I don't even like cooking in non- stick any longer and have switched to all stainless steel. I am even starting to switch to using all glass and stuff so I am not putting stuff in plastic- all that plastic just can't be good for ya! (like making and drinking all this wine/mead/beer is a health tonic )

Old 01-07-2010, 05:07 AM   #23
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
I don't even like cooking in non- stick any longer and have switched to all stainless steel. I am even starting to switch to using all glass and stuff so I am not putting stuff in plastic- all that plastic just can't be good for ya! (like making and drinking all this wine/mead/beer is a health tonic )
What kind of primary ferementer do you have then, and what size?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #24
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
What kind of primary ferementer do you have then, and what size?
The only wine I've made so far is the apfelwein and some cysers and have only used raisins( to help with nutrients for the yeasts due to the high honey amounts) for the last three one gallon batches and they are in glass. The apfelweins were made in my 5 gallon glass carboy. But I do have a huge stainless stock pot(22quarts?) that I use for my canning that might be used for peach/or mulberry wine next summer. I also have several frosting buckets,(they sell them at the local store, cleaned and with the lids for .99cents each!) from 3 1/2 gallons to 5 gallons with top lids that have good gaskets and I plan of putting a hole in for a rubber stoppered air lock. A good friend gave me 7 one gallon glass jugs that she didn't need any longer.
Since I started last Sept. I have made a 1 gallon trial batch of apfelwein, and two 5 gallon batches, Then I have 4 one gallon batches going of
apple honey
apple raspberry
white grape peach honey
and one wild mutt of mixed all juice like strawberry kiwi, grape, cranberry, apple and a wild berry mix - I will never be able to reproduce this baby, but it was fun to put together!
I figure that this would be good training for when I switch to using the whole fruits from my garden. I even got a hydrometer for my Christmas present and some money for my Birthday so I am hoarding it until I can get tot he brew shop for more fun stuff, like a decent racking cane and hopefully some zorks. And a few more of the swing top blue quart bottles for my meads and cysers.
This hobby is turning into an obsession!

Quick Reply