Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First whine ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Hickabilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First whine ever

Is the one with the green balloon ok? I know this is a bottom of the barrel recipe, but I'm just now getting into brewing and wanted to try something easy

image-2042460644.jpg   image-2921725157.jpg   image-3539415817.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would consider removing tha balloon and with a clean, sanitized scraper work the accumulated yeasty stuff that is up top into the solution and apply new balloon.

So, what are you making in those? And you are among the millions of beginners who just had to make jug balloon wine. I watched my oldest brother and Mom make this in the late 70s...and 30+ years later I made my first wine this way...once. Concord to be exact. I quickly found more gallon glass jugs and larger glass carboys and BetterBottles (or the equivalent). I will not hesitate to use a balloon for emergency airlock though. I would love to brew but alas I really am not a big beer drinker...I just think I have not discover THE one.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #3
Hickabilly
Recipes 

I'm making strawberry kiwi and mango hooch. I call it hooch because I don't believe it should be called whine

Old 11-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #4
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

No. But it probably should be called wine. :-)

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 146 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickabilly
I'm making strawberry kiwi and mango hooch. I call it hooch because I don't believe it should be called whine
When I was growing up hooch was made with 151, KoolAid powder( unsweetened because that was all there was), Hawaiian Punch fruit juice ( no powder back then), sugar, ice cubes, orange wedges, maraschino cherries, pineapple, and strawberries. We made it in huge flip top Coleman coolers.

But Hickabilly my vote is...if you used wine yeast to make it then call it wine. If you used bread yeast, it is still wine albeit yeasty stuff. Could always call it 'hooch style wine'. I take it this is high octane perhaps? Strawberry kiwi mango is a nice blend! If you make it again, try adding pineapple or pineapple juice, it takes it up a few more rungs on the hooch ladder.

Motto: quel che sara sara

Old 11-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Hickabilly
Recipes 

I used bread yeast, I just wanted to make something. I'm gonna look around today and find some brewing parts. I'm a maintenance tech and we have lots of stainless laying around!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
springmom
Texan, by golly. Grandma by the grace of God.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Do NOT use something from the maintenance yard. You really need a clean, food grade container. Glass carboys will work for your "hooch" or you can get food grade plastic buckets. Unless you unpack something from a box that came straight from the manufacturer and you KNOW it has never been used, stick with stuff you can get from your local brew store or online.

Considering: Sparkling raspberry wine, carrot wine

In Primary: Ed's Apfelwein; Raspberry Puree Apple Cider

In Secondary: Pumpkin Pie Mead; Traditional Mead; Dried Elderberry Wine; Blueberry Wine; Texas Persimmon wine; White grape/peach wine; Texas Twang; Hi, Biscus! Metheglyn; A Maize-ing Wine

So far, so good.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #8
ejr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

looks fine to me thats how i started with 2 liter soda bottles many moons ago also used bread yeast in the beginning, some was drinkable some not some drank way to soon

Quick Reply