Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First timer and my wine seems a little watered down...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
RedBearded
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for everyone's input on my new wine experience... I just got done racking it again off of the new fruit and it tastes amazing (for being a young wine). Added some stuff (potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate) to kill the yeast. It was fermenting after I added the new strawberries and sugar, and again, I'm a retard for not checking my SG after I added it all. But, my SG today was 1.002 which is almost exactly where I like it (1.005 is my favorite) and it leaves me t about a 13% alcohol. Here's some pics of me transferring...

image-2104045688.jpg
I had to put in in the pitcher because my roommate knocked my hydrometer test tube off the edge of the sink and it broke. The pitcher was the only thing tall enough that my hydrometer wouldn't hit the bottom in. I also had to put it in the bucket because this is the only carboy I have open.

image-2916593080.jpg
Here it is back in the carboy.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #22
novalou
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBearded
Thanks for everyone's input on my new wine experience... I just got done racking it again off of the new fruit and it tastes amazing (for being a young wine). Added some stuff (potassium metabisulphite and potassium sorbate) to kill the yeast. It was fermenting after I added the new strawberries and sugar, and again, I'm a retard for not checking my SG after I added it all. But, my SG today was 1.002 which is almost exactly where I like it (1.005 is my favorite) and it leaves me t about a 13% alcohol. Here's some pics of me transferring...

I had to put in in the pitcher because my roommate knocked my hydrometer test tube off the edge of the sink and it broke. The pitcher was the only thing tall enough that my hydrometer wouldn't hit the bottom in. I also had to put it in the bucket because this is the only carboy I have open.

Here it is back in the carboy.
Find some gallon jugs to transfer your wine into, you have a lot of head room there in your carboy.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

You don't add sorbate until it's finished, as sorbate doesn't kill yeast. What it does is stop yeast from reproducing- and the yeast doesn't need to reproduce during an active fermentation. In other words, you won't stop fermentation by adding it. It should keep going, but you may have stressed it out. Let it sit for a while, until clear, and then check the SG at that time to see if it kept going or if it did stop.

Next time, let it ferment out and then stabilize when clear (with the sorbate and campden). Then you can sweeten to taste.

Also, rack to small carboys ASAP- at this stage you want only about 1.5 inches of headspace.

RedBearded Likes This 

Quick Reply