Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First Timer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Chazwel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default First Timer

Hello everybody, I am new to the wine making process. I have been reading the forum for a couple of days and have learned alot. Is there a wine making book that that shows the equipment and simple wines to start off with? I have been looking at the wine kits also. Not sure what is the best way to start to flatten the learning curve. I thought there would be a sticky explaining this but can not find it. Thanks for all the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
roadymi
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There are many good vendors on this site. AustinHomebrew.com is one and they are located in Austin TX. They have inexpensive shipping policy.

I would think Houston must have some nice LHBS (local home brew store)

I found it easier to go in and talk in person and visually inspect the equipment I was purchasing. The lhbs will likely offer classes as well. I don't mind paying a little extra to support a local business. Always factor shipping in as some components are pricey to ship.

You will likely want a starter kit.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_34_81&products_id=12923

This is simply an example there are many available. Some prefer plastic, some glass. If you get serious a floor corker is invaluable.

The cheapest way to perfect your craft is to start with country (fruit) wines. You can then progress to grape wines.

Be clean......use your hydromoter......be patient......use quality ingredients........ask questions.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 44 Posts

If you are ever South of Wichita Ks on 35 they have 5 gal glass carboys 19.99 each/ at Wyldewood Winery. Mike

Old 06-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts

I think most of us will recommend Jack Keller's site: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp Yes, the format of the page is a bit dated, but it has a lot of information.
The other option, which I think is easier to some, is to follow the direction straight out from a wine kit.

A wine kit is pretty much the basics without a person having to formulate ph, acid balance, etc. It means you can jump right in with a simple kit to see some of the less complicated processes. You get to get used to the equipment and part of the manual process (knowing a bucket, an airlock, what fermentation is like, what racking is like, what bottling is like, and even what some chemical additions are like).

Most, if not all, wine kits really don't need any changes to them, because they've been designed to work. After that, then you could consider making changes, but even then, it's not likely necessary. (Although I have heard that for the quick mist style wine kits, some people add half the flavoring pack early since the end result might be too sweet.)

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Chazwel
Recipes 

Thanks guys, I will keep you updated on my progress.

Quick Reply