HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First time wine, making clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Antler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Default First time wine, making clone?

Well, I'll start by saying I've been brewing beer for a while and I'm just a few weeks from diving into AG, however i've never made wine. The wife isn't exactly a fan of my brewing hobbies, guess she doesn't understand the fun in it. She doesn't like beer, and she's not really a wine lover. I'm not a fan of wine either really. I bought a bottle of Paradise Ranch white ice wine once, a Riesling. We both loved it. I'm thinking if I can get a simple kit to make a clone or similar wine as this and teach her about the whole process, she may get into making some wines, or at the least have a better respect for my hobby.
Can anyone recommend a nice, simple kit for a first time winemaker that will make a similar wine to the one mentioned?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5430 Times on 3911 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

I've never had that wine, but I had a friend who made a nice riesling kit that his wife loved. I think it was a Vinter's Reserve Riesling kit.

If you like fruity light type beverages, like wine coolers, there are some "Island Mist" kits that make some nice light flavors. My friend made a kiwi pear and a mango citrus something that was really good, if you like that kind of wine.

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Antler
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Thanks! I'll give that a try if I can't find something closer!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #4
KevinM
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It may be easier to test out some other wines first. You know you like icewines based on a reisling, how about a regular reisling? (Late harvest or semi-sweet are probably two you may like, probably less so the dry.) Also, you might try a Gewürztraminer. Again, look for a sweet or semi-sweet until you think you want to try a dry. (You may want to taste these before getting a kit to see if you like them or not though.)

mist wines are sweet, light wines (3-5%). Also known as wine coolers.
Ice wines are fairly alcoholic (8-13%)but have a syrupy mouthfeel and sweet flavor due to the residual sugars.

There are ice wine kits out on the market, but I haven't tried any yet. And I'm not sure what you would have over on your side of the water. Icewines also tend to be more expensive due to the process and quantity. (And even the kits cost the same amount for half the quantity.) I still like icewines though, and am glad I'm in an area where they're produced, though I do wonder what this year's quality will be like.

Primary: Sake
Secondary: GF Czech Lager
Waiting to be kegged, Italian Primitivo
Kegged&Ready: GF Orange&Coriander, GF Honey Lager, GF chocolate ale, GF English ale, Island mist (zinfandel), Island mist (cbry malbec).
Bottled: Infected Mead, Dry Hard ciders, Accidental Sorghumwine, various unnamed.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS