The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > first time posting and first time making wine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
mgayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yes this could be bad! You do not want much headspace because of oxy. issues. Try to get it in something smaller. Even spliting into 2 one gallon carboys would be better. I picked up 4 1 gallon jugs at the LHBS for around $10.00. Keep us informed.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

At 1.000, it was not done. When you added more sugar, you also are increasing the alcohol. You will have rocket fuel if you're not careful. At 1.100, you would be about 13% alcohol and then then another 3 cups of sugar will boost that even more as well as continue fermentation.

At this point, it would be best to put it into 2 one gallon carboys to decrease the head space, or a one 3 gallon carboy with sanitized marbles to decrease the headspace. You have way too much headspace and are headed for oxidized rocket fuel.

So, I'd siphon it into new (different) sanitized gallon containers and let it sit under airlock for about a month, or until the sg is under .996. Then rack every 45 days or so as long as you have lees (sediment) in the bottom. Don't add more sugar until you have stabilized and the fermentation is completely over.

I suggest reading alot to keep you occupied while you're waiting! This is an awesome place to start: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/basics.asp

And, feel free anytime to post questions, especially about stabilization and finishing fermentation. We'll try to help!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
enyaw-1
Recipes 

I'm going to start some beet wine. The recipe says to skin the raw beets. How is this done without losing alot of juice from the bleeding of the raw beets?

Old 09-07-2007, 12:54 AM   #14
mgayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyaw-1
I'm going to start some beet wine. The recipe says to skin the raw beets. How is this done without losing alot of juice from the bleeding of the raw beets?
As you peel them just chop and place in a bowl immediately then rinse the bowl with water your adding to the carboy. You can also get them almost to the frozen stage and the juices won't come off as quickly.

In the Carboy:
Red wine
Roman Raisin Wine
Bottle aging/drinking:
Mead
Apple Wine (15% abv)
Strawberry Wine
Elder Flower Wine
Blue moon Clone

Quick Reply