Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First time freak out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
azak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time freak out

Alright, I am a fist time winemaker. I have five gallons of blackberry going. I moved it from primary to stage two about a week ago. At that time the reading was 0.998 or just a hair below. My I checked it yesterday and it was about the same. My question is do I add my potassium sorbate and backsweeten now, or let it ride longer. It was in the primary for 9 days so total time running is 18 days. The airlock is throwing a bubble about every 45 seconds. I am leaving town in the morning until Friday so it will be sitting until then unless I add the sorbate now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Heavywalker
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would let it go another couple months before doing anything to it. Give it time to finish up on its own and clear, then you can rack into another carboy and stabilize and back sweeten to taste. I usually let my blackberry go for around 8 months before I bottle. Being a first time wine maker that would be difficult to do, but at least let it go for another 2 or 3 months.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
azak
Recipes 

thanks

Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
WVMJ
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Its still cloudy, it has to clearup before you think about sorbating it and backsweetening. About all you can do now is wait, maybe add some oak, but mostly waiting. Also another good time to start a second batch to take your mind off of the first one, a third batch helps the other 2 age. This can be a dangerous hobby if you run out of carboy space

WVMJ

Quick Reply