Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First Stage of Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
blacktib
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Stage of Fermentation

I have put on a kit and have noticed a large amount of sediment or something on top of the wine, it is day 3. The red beside it is bubbling as normal and maybe this white wine is doing fine. Is it normal to have such an yeasty smelling sediment ontop? I'm definetly not going to want to suck this stuff over when it comes time. Is this stuff normal?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktib View Post
I have put on a kit and have noticed a large amount of sediment or something on top of the wine, it is day 3. The red beside it is bubbling as normal and maybe this white wine is doing fine. Is it normal to have such an yeasty smelling sediment ontop? I'm definetly not going to want to suck this stuff over when it comes time. Is this stuff normal?
Sometimes you get a yeasty looking top, sometimes it's more fruity looking. It's ok, just follow the kit directions and it'll be fine. When it falls to the bottom, it'll compact down and you won't siphon it over to secondary.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
huesmann
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

By definition, sediment settles, so it wouldn't be on top of your wine. It's probably just foam.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Tw0fish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeast makes CO2, thats why it bubbles. If you've got stuff in your batch that'll hold air, like fruit pectin, you'll see a head to it. Imagine blowing bubbles in apple cider versus blowing bubbles in juice.

I mean, no, no it's all ruined and it will make you sick if you drink it.. PM me your address and I'll be by in six weeks with my racking cane and a case of bottles to help you properly dispose of it

-Jordan
Who will try to ferment just about anything
"You guys just wanna get bombed and run around yelling yarr we're vikings!"

Quick Reply