Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First kit... fizzy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
sasha
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok I'll post how it goes, it bubbling away nicely at mo on day2

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #12
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I plan to go maybe 4-5 months before I bottle my Gewurtztraminer. Would I need to be degassing that?

And what is the process? Whip it like you said and then add sulfites? The sulfites will remove all of that new oxygen? Won't the sulfites hang out in the corked bottle or do you have to wait weeks after degassing to bottle?

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I plan to go maybe 4-5 months before I bottle my Gewurtztraminer. Would I need to be degassing that?

And what is the process? Whip it like you said and then add sulfites? The sulfites will remove all of that new oxygen? Won't the sulfites hang out in the corked bottle or do you have to wait weeks after degassing to bottle?
If you leave it in the carboy for a few months, you may not need to degas. You degas before you add the clarifing agents- but if you give it enough time you may not even need to use the clarifyers. What I do is get all the way to the bottling stage, following the instructions, but leave it in the carboy insteaad of going to the bottle. By then, it's been degassed and topped up so it's fine in the carboy for a while.

The directions will tell you when to degas, and how to do it. Trust me, though, that when they say "vigorous stirring", that is a gross understatement. I bought a wine whip that fits into my drill, and I start slow and then speed up as the gas comes out. You have to watch for wine volcanoes at first, though. After you degas, you add the stabilizers and the clarifiers, top up to the bung and let it sit about 2-4 weeks before bottling.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #14
dontman
Recipes 

Cool thanks.

So the whip fits through the neck of the carboy I assume, yes?

My kit is not really a kit at all. I bought the Brehm Frozen Grapes. There are instructions but they are more like: Rack and sulfite. Meaning they assume a lot of wine making knowledge.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
Smogre

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Cool thanks.

So the whip fits through the neck of the carboy I assume, yes?...
Yeah. Something like This

Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
dontman
Recipes 

Thanks for the pic. Someone should tell them to take a better one though. I could barely see it.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:42 PM   #17
Charbucks
Recipes 

Alright, 2 weeks later (3 weeks after bottling) I cracked another bottle just for fun, and the fizziness is *significantly* reduced. It also tastes much better

Either way, my next batch is going to get a serious degassing, but it's nice to know that the whole thing isn't ruined.

Quick Reply