Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First Batch of Wine - Did I mess up?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
DAM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Batch of Wine - Did I mess up?

Several weeks back I bought a Vino Vida wine kit (Piesporter), because my wife. wanted to give it a try. On January 1 we performed the first step--warm water, bentonite, juice concentrate and cool water added to the primary, along with vigorous stirring. The second step, to be performed approximately 14 days later involves movement to the secondary, along with addition of Sulphite, Potassium Sorbate, Kieslesol and Chitosan, followed by degassing (apologies to the experienced wine makers out there, but I just want to list the steps provided with the kit).

As luck would have it, we got distracted by other things, and forgot the fermenter sitting in a dark corner, and we are now well past the 14 days outlined in the kit before step 2.

My question is, will the extra 13 or so days make a difference in the quality of the wine, such that I need to dump it and try again, or am I OK to proceed ahead?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Inner10
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It may yeild a slightly better product and have less gas to beat out of it. Most kits are rather rushed anyway.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not a problem at all. But rack it to,secondary sooner rather than later. I wouldn't leave a wine in the primary fermenter for more than six weeks.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
DAM
Recipes 

Thanks to you both. I had hoped all was well, but with a first batch of anything Murphy's Law seems more likely to apply. I should be racking to the secondary later this week.

Quick Reply