Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > First batch fermenting noob

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #1
Provident14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First batch fermenting noob

Hello! Started my first batch fermenting yesterday. I used 100 oz martinelli 100% unfiltered non frozen apple juice and 48oz of apple raspberry old orchard frozen 100% concentrate (for the raspberry flavor). I'm making a 5 gal batch. Adding the 10# of sugar to the ingredients listed above and filling the rest with water I thought id taste the must before adding yeast, etc. Not surprisingly it tasted like sugar water with a slight apple flavor. Not surprising since it's 10# of sugar in a 5 gal bucket. I did expect there to be more apple flavor than there was. Can someone educate a noob as to what happens in terms of flavor in the fermenting process? Does the apple flavor get stronger in fermenting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 35

So less than a gallon of juice and 4 cans of concentrate in a 5 gallon batch?

In my concentrate wines I use 4 cans of concentrate per gallon. If adding sugar like you did then you can go with 2 cans of concentrate per gallon or go 100% juice with no water.

The apple flavor will not get stronger. Probably need more juice concentrate there to kick up the flavor. Let it ferment out. Once you rack a few times and let it clear. Stabilize with Camden and sorbate and back sweeten with concentrate to taste.

A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply